Troubleshooting HTC One X Problems
Common problems with the HTC One X smart phone include issues with the device freezing, battery issues, the screen not rotating and more. These problems can often be resolved by doing your own troubleshooting and working through various causes without you having to go through the pain of dealing with either HTC support or the support line of your service provider.
HTC One X Freezing
- Hold down the "Power" button on your HTC One X smart phone until it shuts down to force your device to shut down. This can resolve your problem if it's the result of a temporary system glitch that's related to the operating system, a program or a number of other things. Wait a few minutes and then power the smart phone back on. If the device works without any further issues, your problem was likely just a temporary one. If you continue having problems, try using other corrective measures.
- Try booting your HTC One X in Safe Mode, which boots up the phone with the bare minimum software running. Booting your phone in Safe Mode won't solve your problem, but it will help you narrow it down. For example, if your phone freezes up in Safe Mode, you're likely suffering a system problem. However, if you're device doesn't act up in Safe Mode, your problem is likely resulting from a recently-installed application that needs to be removed. You can boot your device in Safe Mode by doing the following:
- Turn your device off if it isn't already.
- Power the smart phone back on.
- After the screen starts to light up, hold down the HTC One X's "Volume Up" button until the phone boots up fully.
- Try uninstalling programs or applications that you recently installed on your device.
- Update your smart phone's software by following the instructions in the Update HTC One X Software section.
- Restore your device's factory settings as outlined in the Restore HTC One X Factory Settings section.
What do you use your smartphone for most?
- Turn off the heaviest power-draining functionality on your phone if you don't plan on using it. This includes Wi-Fi if you're not in range of a wireless signal, GPS/location-based services and Bluetooth. If these are turned on and you're not using them, it's not worth sacrificing your battery life.
- Set your device's screen up to turn itself off after a specified period of time. This can be done through the Display/Screen Timeout part of the Settings menu. Your HTC One X's battery drains considerably faster when the screen is on, so set it to automatically turn off when you're not looking at it.
- Lower your screen brightness. The brighter the screen, the lower the battery life. This can also be done through the Display part of the Settings menu.
- If you feel like your smart phone is taking too long to charge, try switching power sources. Use the power adapter that came with your HTC One X to charge the phone through an AC adapter to see if you still experience a slow charge. If you've been charging it using a computer's USB port, that USB port may not have as much power available and won't charge your phone as quickly. Also, if you're using a third-party charging cable, this may be the problem. Try using an HTC-certified cable to see if you still experience a slow charging time.
- Review applications running in the background on your phone and kill any that aren't necessary. You can review and stop some running applications in the Applications/Running Services part of the Settings menu.
HTC One X Touchscreen Issues
- If the screen isn't responding to your touch or appears to lag when responding, either the screen or your hands may be dirty or wet. Clean your screen using a soft, slightly damp cloth and then dry it thoroughly. Additionally, wash your hands and then dry them thoroughly, as the same issues that can arise as a result of a dirty or wet screen can also arise from trying to use the HTC One X with dirty or wet hands.
- If the screen doesn't rotate when you turn it from the vertical to the horizontal position, it's likely that automatic screen rotation is disabled. You can ensure that automatic screen rotation is enabled by doing the following:
- Tap "Settings."
- Select "Display."
- Tap to place a check in the box next to "Auto-Rotate Screen."
Update HTC One X Software
The problems you're having may be the result of your HTC One X's software being outdated. Do the following to update the software (firmware) on your smart phone:
- Tap "Menu."
- Select "Settings" and then "About."
- Tap "System Software Updates."
- Select "Check Now." The system performs a quick check and notifies you if a software update is available. Install any available updates.
Rate Your HTC One X
Restore HTC One X Factory Settings
If all else fails, try restoring the HTC One X to its default factory settings. As always, you should ensure that your phone is backed up before performing this procedure. After backing up your device, do the following to restore the HTC One X to its default factory settings:
- Tap "Settings."
- Select "Storage" and then "Factory Data Reset."
- Choose "Reset Phone."
- Select "Erase Everything." All of the content on your phone will be erased and restored to the factory settings.