- Internet & the Web»
- Social Networking
Understanding Facebook's Privacy Options
Understanding FB is a double edged sword, some parts are intuitive and easy and other parts, murky and mysterious. For some reason,Facebook's security remains a mystery to many users. There seems to be many privacy options but the trick is how to use them. You might think you are only sharing something with friends when it actually goes public.
Below are tips and suggestions:
- Turn on Secure Browsing for protection in Security Settings
- Use App Settings to limit the amount of info each app can access and prevent them from posting on your timeline
- Disable Instant Personalization so FB cannot share your information with websites
- Go to Ads Settings to limit how your image and data is used in ads. You can prevent them from using your name in products you "liked".
- Options to restrict who can see your info include: Public, Friends, Acquaintances, Just you, Custom, Close Friends and Family
- Only take Friend requests from people you know. Use Acquaintance not friend
- When you like or comment, it will be seen by friends of the person who posted it or more
- There are additional security settings under Account Settings