Why Industrial workers need long sleeve PPE.
What does an industrial worker do?
Industrial workers maintain and repair factory equipments that require safety precautions. They need to use protective equipments like safety glasses, hearing protectors and other safety equipments. Industrial workers work depends on the nature of industry. The industry may require them to work on daily basis or morning or night shifts or they may need to work overtime too. An industrial worker need a training programme to get equipped to the type of work the industry need.
List of various hazards.
Employers need to protect workers from hazards of workplaces that can cause injury to the industrial workers, as is said by The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). PPE is any kind of equipment that is provided to safeguard workers on the industry. PPE may include the following:
- Goggles for eye protection and face protection.
- Boots for safety of legs.
- Life jackets.
- High visibility vests
- Ear plugs for hearing protection.
- Helmets and hoods for head protection.
- Harness for working for heights.
- Long sleeves clothes for working in heat conditions and extreme cold conditions.
How does long sleeve PPE protect?
Wearing long sleeve PPE helps protecting hands, neck and cuffs. The material of the long sleeve PPE should be heavy weight and hundred percent cotton or wool depending on the nature of work required, which will protect the worker from hot flames, hot metals and UV radiations. Long sleeve personal protective equipment is required for working in outdoor projects which consists of full sleeves “High-Viz” shirts that covers arms and wrists too.
Long sleeve PPE is required if the worker is exposed to following hazards.
- If there are any kind of temperature extremes in the working environment.
- If there are any chances of chemical burns to the worker.
- If the working environment can lead to severe abrasions.
- If there are any chances of punctures.
- If there are any chances that harmful substances could be absorbed by the skin.
- If there are any chances of cuts and wounds to the worker.