- Android Phones
List of Best Facebook Apps for Android
Everybody is nor a great fan of the official Android app for Facebook. The official app is feature-rich and handy. You can do almost everything in it. But, still it is disliked by some. The UI is one of the reasons for it. The app does not look so good. One of the major drawbacks of the app is its big footprint. This app is a very resource hungry beast and uses a lot of RAM, memory space and data. If you are a fan of light apps which will not strain your Android phones performances, you may check the alternative Facebook apps for Android.
Here, in this hub, I have collected a list with pros and cons of the best alternative Facebook client apps. Read my mini-reviews and select the one which would be best for you.
The developer of the Friendcaster app, "OneLouder apps" is well known for their another social media app, Tweetcaster. They have also a reditt client named BaconReader.
- Friendcaster supports multiple Facebook accounts to be opened simultaneously.
- You can customize the look of the app by changing themes. There are currently six themes available.
- The app shows the newsfeed of all the open accounts. You can comment, like and share a post, photo or a video.
- The user can post status updates. Photos and videos can also be flawlessly updated.
- You can save a particular post for future viewing.
- You can hide any post from your newsfeed.
- There is a push notification system to let you know about your friends activities.
- You can also download videos from Facebook.
- The app is not as fast as some of the other available FB clients.
- There are some bugs in it too like not supporting direct actions in friend requests.
I have tested and liked the app. It is good. But if you want something faster, do not download it.
Fast for Facebook
No list of Facebook clients for Android would be regarded complete without mentioning Fast for Facebook. This app is very popular. Fast is a lighter and faster alternative to the official app.
- More colorful and better designed than the official app. The User Interface can be customized as much as you like.
- Fast is a small app and never uses too much resource. So, if you use Fast for Facebook you will have a faster phone.
- The app consumes less data, so your data plan will last longer.
- As it is not heavy, Fast will use much less battery juice than the official FB app.
- There are multiple languages support in it.
- It shows a user customizable newsfeed from Facebook. You can create your own feeds with selected pages, groups and friends.
- The user can watch videos from Facebook inside the app. It also supports YouTube videos.
- Fast for Facebook supports chat. So, you do not need to download the Facebook messenger app.
- Within the app, one can easily download the photos and videos from Facebook.
- Fast is great but not flawless.
- There are some minor bugs in the app.
If you are a user of 2G internet, you must use Fast. If you used a limited 3G plan, I'll also recommend Fast, as it will not consume much data.
Full Book for Facebook
There are some people who want to get the full Facebook on phone. Full Facebook means PC like FB experience on your Android phone. Well, there is an app named "Full Book for Facebook" for it.
- Desktop like full Facebook experience on your phone.
- Everything works like the PC version.
- If you use this app, you do not need to use any messenger app for chat.
- This is a slow app. You will not be able to enjoy the benefits of the app without 3G or WiFi.
- It consumes huge amount of data.
- There are some bugs and faults in the app.
If you are a fan of the Facebook full website and do not want anything less, then go for this app. For those, who like to use Facebook like a mobile user, this app is a big "no".
Stream for Android (Facebook)
Stream for Android is another good alternative to the official facebook app.Stream is developed by Vigans.
- Stream is fast and reliable.
- The user interface is good-looking and smooth.
- There are black and white themes. The black theme will save battery juice if you have a AMOLED screen.
- The pro version is ad free and supports chat.
- It has some issues.
- You can not upload video from this app.
Tinfoil for Facebook has been developed by Daniel Velazco. This is actually a wrapper around the Facebook mobile site. It works as a sandbox.
- Fast and reliable.
- It is very secure.
- Battery and memory saver.
- No lag and other hiccups.
- Not a "true" Facebook client but loads the facebook mobile website.
- All functions are not available.
- No push notification system.
"Tinfoil" is liked by many users. There are not many complaints against it.
Due to Facebook limitations on third party apps and unpredictable errors occurring on Facebook's platform, this project is no longer maintained. No further update are planned.— Abewy (Developer of Klyph)
Klyph for Facebook
Klph is an open source Android app for Facebook. The developer "Abewy" is now fade up with the Facebook limitations and so they have abandoned the project. But the app still remains and can be downloaded.
- Good looking UI. This app is designed according to Google's Android guidelines.
- There are multiple themes available.
- There are some missing features like the ability to like a page, tagging in status and comments with a @ etc.
- There is no developer support available and so there may not be any further updates.
Klyph has a lot of potentials. It could be much better than the official Facebook app.
Flipster is a heavily customizable app. This FB client is faster and more user-friendly.
- There are 18 themes, 30 fonts and 6 font sizes to customize the look and feel of this app.
- You can upload and download pictures quiet easily.
- The search option is good.
- There is an integrated chat function in this app.
- There are more than 400 emojis available.
- There are some bugs.
- The Newsfeed sometimes does not show all the messages.
- Lack of some functions like delete comments etc.
Seesmic is Facebook and Twitter client. It is a multi-platform application. You can find the Windows PC, Windows Mobile and iPhone versions of it. It is a very powerful app.
- Twitter and Facebook side by side.
- You can login with many Twitter accounts and one FB account.
- Complete integration of FB and Twitter newsfeed and tweets.
- Customizable and have many themes.
- There are many features and functions on it.
- It is not a dedicated Facebook app.
- It is good for viewing but not so good for posting.
You do not need to have two separate apps for Twitter and Facebook. But if you do not use Twitter, then it is not for you.
HootSuit is a multiple social media app. It is more complex than Seesmic. It supports four social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Foursquare.
- 4 different social media support side by side.
- You can open more than one Facebook accounts simultaneously.
- There is an option to post scheduling in it. You can schedule your posts to publish later.
- You can monitor your brands on FB and Twitter.
- There is also notification service in it.
- You can also shorten links inside the app.
- It is a professional app, not that good for casual facebooking.
- You may find it rather dull.
- You will not get all the functions.
FBM for Facebook
FBM is similar to TinFoil app. Yes, it is basically an envelope around the touch mobile version of the Facebook website. As it uses the official site, there is almost no bug in the app.
- Full Facebook support.
- Easy uploading of photos and videos from the phone.
- Touch optimized User Interface.
- Notification functionality
- This app can consume a lot of data.
- It is not a perfect FB app.
- Nothing new than the Facebook website in your mobile's browser.
I'll recommend this app if you like the mobile version of the Facebook website.
So, which app do you want to use to replace the official Facebook Android app? It is confusing to choose among so many good applications, is not it?
There are three types of Facebook apps available in the Google Play Store for Android phones and tablets. In the first category, there are pure apps. Apps which use the facebook's API to give something new. Klyph, Fast, Flipster etc are this type of apps. There are also multi-platform apps. These apps have Facebook as well as other social media platform integration. HootSuit and Seesmic are two best examples of such type of apps. In the third category, we can count the apps like FBM and TinFoil which are basically browsers limited to only one site, Facebook.
Now, you need to choose according to your need. It would be better if you try two or three apps to find out which one suits you best.