Leaked passwords list shows we're still terrible at picking passwords

1. Shogun profile image47
    Shogunposted 12 days ago

We want companies to he held accountable for improving cybersecurity, and they largely struggle to do so. But it's not just up to them... as we can learn from the list of top terrible passwords users choose.

For example, based on an analysis of more than 5M stolen/leaked passwords, discovered nonsense such as "iloveyou," "hello," "trustno1," "password," and "letmein."

Ironically, users often complain because they have to select a password with a minimum number of characters, including numbers and other non-letter characters. But without being ordered to do so, however, it looks like many users would prefer an easy-to-remember password that is quick to type in.

Most passwords used are just downright bad – and some cybersecurity experts wonder if we're moving just that much closer to getting rid of passwords overall.

Full list and hat tip to NY Times for the inspiration for this post.

Come on, people!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 days ago

Every time I hear how many people still use a simple thing like "password" or some variation of it as their password, I think of the scene in "Spaceballs" when the villains learn that the combination to the planet Druidia's "Air Shield" is "1-2-3-4." Dark Helmet (the Darth Vader-esque bad guy played by Rick Moranis) sez "That's IT? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! That's the kind of combination an idiot would use on his luggage!"
    ...a few minutes later his boss, the crooked President Skroob (Mel Brooks) enters the room and when he's told that the shield combo is 1-2-3-4, he says "What a coincidence! I use that exact same combination on my luggage!"

1. Shogun profile image47
      Shogunposted 11 days agoin reply to this

Ha!

Yeah, cybersecurity is a super complex challenge. Even if solutions are improving, they are largely useless if users are willing to just turn over control of their PC (even if they are unaware they've effectively done so).

working