jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When do you think solar cars would be on roads?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image62
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

When do you think solar cars would be on roads?

2. PAPA-BEAR profile image60
    PAPA-BEARposted 7 years ago

There are solar buses running in Adelaide Australia,, and electric trucks were running in London in the 1950's - 60's but they fell out of fashion with cheap fuel. London had buses and trams that were electric long before the 1960's. Trouble now is it is so expensive, and the world is in recession, wrong time. Long before that happens I think fuel from water will run cars, you wait and see within 2 years.

3. Ben Evans profile image73
    Ben Evansposted 7 years ago

Now the reason we don't see solar cars is that solar power cannot produce enough power run a typical car.  The most efficient photovoltaic cells are around 13 watts per square ft
    or 140 watts per square meter.  If you figure that a car with solar panel area of 2 meter x 3 meters or 6 meters square, this would have an output of 840 watts or about enough to power a 1 horse power motor.  This would be just a very small fraction of what a car would need to run.

Now of course, this is when the sun is shining.  Now solar power could be used to generate the power to charge a battery when a car is parked but this would be better accomplished by a solar panel that is not a part of the car.

The power output of a solar panel is not enough to motivate a car and as a partial power system would be very costly because of not only the solar panels but they would need to be molded to the contours of a car..

I see the ev but when we are looking at a solar powered car I don't think it will be practical.

4. internett1t3 profile image55
    internett1t3posted 7 years ago

Still there is a problem when they are exist, what if the sun did not shine then there is a massive transport strike and the passengers will get stranded.

5. Wilsonsorin2011 profile image55
    Wilsonsorin2011posted 6 years ago

Now solar energy is being popular in the world because of reducing the other sources of energy so n nearest future we see the solar car on the roads.For more detail on the solar energy please visit - http://www.utnrenewables.co.uk/