jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Has your laptop ever failed due to overheating?

1. profile image58
    laptop-coolerposted 6 years ago

Has your laptop ever failed due to overheating?

I know I lost my last laptop to overheating problems, but what about everybody else?

2. advisor4qb profile image79
    advisor4qbposted 6 years ago

Yes!  My Compaq did that continuously.  It was very frustrating.  The way I was able to get some relief temporarily was to vacuum out the grill on the underside where the fan is.  You need to keep it on a non-porous surface while it is being used.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I used to have Dell laptop that overheated once or twice playing a game.  It didn't fry the laptop but the game CD in the player acted up.  Once the laptop and drive cooled off, it was fine.

I have a Gateway laptop that get very very warm. I complained about it and customer support sort of said, "whatever."  It has never caused a problem but it is definitely too hot for having in your lap.

4. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 6 years ago

i have had 2 sony vaio's in the past and both have heating issues ... the issues mainly come up after about 2 years of use.

the first laptop just switches off after 15 mins ... the air vent was not in a good place. the second one started giving problems too but i opened it up and fixed it myself. the fan makes a lot of noise now ... definitely gets too hot for the lap but it's working. i didn't even try contacting sony coz i know their customer support is very bad.

working