jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I have a laptop that has become very SLOW... can I delete all of the MS updates?

1. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

I have a laptop that has become very SLOW... can I delete all of the MS updates?

When I went through the programs to get rid of any that I never use I discovered that there are a lot of Microsoft security downloads, and Windows Security down loads... that are taking up a great deal of space.  Can those be deleted, since this laptop does not connect to the internet?  If I delete these, will the computer still operate?  It is a pent. 4 running Explorer XP... . suggestions?

2. molometer profile image85
    molometerposted 6 years ago

As long as you do not use USB sticks or old style disks. In other words isolate the laptop from any other source of potential contamination it should be fine to discard the security updates. Other updates though are to fix bugs in XP itself so make a restore point first before you hack away. Good luck.

3. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 6 years ago

Microsoft security updates are useful and protect your PC. It's possible that something else is slowing it down. I would try to uninstall non essential programs and/or see if anything you've installed recently is responsible for the slow down.

4. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

system restore takes up a lot of space in xp and is usually left on but never really required (has never worked for me when i've run into problems). this will save you a couple GB.

when it asks to remove all saved restore points click yes.

to turn off restore - right click on the my computer icon ... click properties ... click the system restore tab and turn off system restore...

if it's a laptop you can also disable the hibernate option. hibernation requires about 2GB of space. to disable ... right click properties on the desktop ...choose the screen saver tab ... at the bottom you'll see power ... click power ... you'll see a hibernate tab and take the check off and click ok. you'll get an immediate 2GB extra space...

you don't have internet on that computer so you don't have to clear browsing history etc...

finally perform a disc cleanup ... double click my computer ... on the C drive right click properties and click disk clean up.

to speed up your system ... run the windows defragmentation tool. right click my computer and choose manage ... a window pops up ... choose disk defragmenter ... click on C drive and either analyze or defrag directly...

you system should run a little faster after a restart.

keep the security updates.

hope this helps.

5. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

Okay, I just wrote an entire hub on this SUPER easy fix.  Please trust me, it's the quickest and best fix I've ever come across.  It's the #1-rated free registry fixer out there.  My hub has my whole story about what happened and how to fix it.  Includes free download.  All the very best..

Find my hub here:  http://faceless39.hubpages.com/hub/Revi … s-Registry

working