How do I add another harddrive, if my SATA ports are dead?

1. Cat R profile image73
    Cat Rposted 6 years ago

How do I add another harddrive, if my SATA ports are dead?

I had bought a used computer with an alright harddrive size. But when we tried to add another SATA drive, it didn't work. The computer shop tried it to and non of the other ports will recognize the harddrive or any other harddrive.
    Is there a SATA extention card or something I can use to still add the second harddrive?

2. plussize-lingerie profile image61
    plussize-lingerieposted 6 years ago

1) Try moving the existing drive to a different SATA port to see if it is the ports that are dead, or a different problem, such as insufficient power supply. The latter is more likely.

2) If the ports are out of action, add an external USB2 drive. They are fairly cheap and as long as you can use USB 2 (rather than 1), which you will be able to do as you have SATA, then it will be pretty quick. Plus, you can use it as a back up for important data and remove it when you go away. There are pleny of 1TB and 1.5Tb cheap external drives around these days. Maxtor make good ones.

Good luck.

3. fritzgoesrawrr profile image59
    fritzgoesrawrrposted 6 years ago

You can buy an extra additional SATA ports that is placed on the PCI socket of your motherboard. smile