I have a crash chain that I am trying to mount around/beside a parallel arm clos

1. profile image51
    GelatiKINGposted 5 years ago

I have a crash chain that I am trying to mount around/beside a parallel arm closer.  How to do this?

2. Tom Rubenoff profile image93
    Tom Rubenoffposted 5 years ago

A crash chain is a solution of last resort.  When the door is closed it hangs down into the opening, so when the door is opened or shut the crash chain is inevitably bouncing against other stuff, like your door closer.  You might instead consider a parallel arm mounted door closer with a stop arm.  LCN offers the Cush'n'Stop arm and Norton offers the Closer Plus Stop arm. 

Alternatively you may be able to install an overhead stop, such as those made by Rixson, ABH or Glynn Johnson.  The trick is getting it to work with your existing door closer.  One tactic that works pretty well on a wood door is to install a concealed overhead stop.  It is a lot of work to install, but you end up with a door closer and an overhead stop that don't interfere with each other, if you do it right. 

Whatever you decide to do, please be careful and make sure any hardware you have installed is installed well.  No one wants a piece of door hardware falling down on anyone's head.

working