jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I have framed a rectifier circuit and I got an output greater than the input....

1. goodnews11 profile image91
    goodnews11posted 4 years ago

I have framed a rectifier circuit and I got an output greater than the input........ how it came?

I framed a bridge rectifier using ordinary PN junction diode and gave an input of 12V AC. I also added a capacitor 2200uF for filtering. Initially I was getting a proper output of 12V DC. But suddenly I started getting 16V at the output, input remained unaltered. Can any one help me to troubleshoot.......

2. DATALOAD profile image60
    DATALOADposted 4 years ago

Full-wave rectification converts both polarities of the input waveform to pulsating DC, and yields a higher average output voltage. These pulses happen because the rectifying circuit clips off the AC portion of the wave. Hook up to an oscilloscope to see it in action.

You may consider a voltage regulator if you need a specific voltage depending on the application.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

As DATALOAD has already explained. I would recommend a voltage regulator.

4. Daffitt profile image69
    Daffittposted 4 years ago

I'm no electronics expert, but I did do a little in the military many years ago. My thought in addition to DATALOAD's comments is that capacitors have the potential to collect and store electricity. They may in some cases even be able to absorb static electricity from the air over time. For that reason, your capacitor may be collecting and slowly dispensing additional voltage over time. This is one reason why voltage regulators are necessary; to "drain" off excess voltage in a circuit.

Like I said though, I'm no expert. Just a thought.