jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is an iPad better than an IPod Touch for kids?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 4 years ago

Is an iPad better than an IPod Touch for kids?

My wife and I have been debating if an iPad is better than an Itouch for kids because the iPad is better for reading, watching video, and is less portable (less likely the kid takes it everywhere).

2. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image99
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 4 years ago

We have both.  The iPad is nice for the house and our daughter (11) likes to use it for games, reading and writing.  the iPod touch is nice for games, texting her friends (limited) and she loves to take it so she can take photos when we go places.  I will say the iPod touch is hard on her eyes, especially over long periods, and she needs to wear glasses now when reading.  We bought them as refurbs from Apple so it saved us some money.

3. Janet21 profile image81
    Janet21posted 4 years ago

I am not sure the age of your child, but in my experience the iPod touch works better for my kids.  The main reason is because it is portable.  They can carry it in their pocket when on the go and easily take it to a friend's house.  And since they like taking photos of everything they always have their iPod on them.   They use their iPods at home as well, but we also have a family iPad, desktop and laptops available if they want the use a bigger screen.  So basically the iPod touch is their own personal device, but they also have access to the other electronics in the home.  My kids are 15, 12 and 8 (the 8 year old is getting an iPod touch for Christmas).

4. LCDWriter profile image94
    LCDWriterposted 4 years ago

My kids got an ipod touch for Christmas last year and it has been a constant companion for them during the past year.  They were 9 and 11 when they got it.  They love to play games and watch videos on it.  It is easy to take places and discreet so they can play it and be quiet at a restaurant for example. 

I will say that they have "lost" it a few times including it falling out of my son's pocket at a NASCAR race and luckily for him getting turned in by someone to lost and found.  So if the kids are prone to losing things, you will want to keep a watchful eye.

My kids are even taking a photography class and using the ipods in the class.  They are very versatile.  I think the only downside would be the reading but maybe a kindle or nook would be better for that anyway.

working