How can I estimate the CPU, RAM, Bandwidth and Port Speed required to launch a s

1. bizboon profile image40
    bizboonposted 4 years ago

How can I estimate the CPU, RAM, Bandwidth and Port Speed required to launch a social media website?

What criteria should I consider when I estimating how much CPU, RAM and Bandwidth needed for a social media launch.  For example let's say 1000 user will come to my website, how much RAM, CPU and Bandwidth those visits would take?

2. Marc Rohde profile image68
    Marc Rohdeposted 4 years ago

Without know knowing about the infrastructure you will run it is difficult to answer.  I would start by looking at the baseline for infrastructure, for example the web server software (IIS, Apache, Tomcat, etc) and databases (MySQL, MS SQL, etc) and go from there.  1000 visitors/day is going to be a light load but 1000/minute could be a relatively heavy load depending on the application.

If you are just starting out I would look at building an architecture that can build out and up as you grow.  For example handling multiple front end servers, larger database servers, data caching/sharding, and other scaling techniques.  This makes it less important to get the sizing exactly right from the start and will allow you to scale as needed.

1. bizboon profile image40
      bizboonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How about using CDNs, would it help increase performance?

working