jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Is President Obama the first "selfie" president?

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

Is President Obama the first "selfie" president?

Mr Obama uses social media and is seen with celebrities and young people in many selfies. Is he the first selfie president and will this continue with the next ones?

2. Thief12 profile image91
    Thief12posted 2 years ago

What do you mean by "selfie president"? that uses social media? takes a lot of pictures? Putting aside my dislike for the word "selfie", Obama is certainly not the first President to "use social media" and not the first to be "seen with celebrities and young people in many selfies".

Obviously, given the rising popularity of cellphones and self-pictures, you're bound to see more of those than from past Presidents, but that doesn't mean he is the first to indulge in pictures with celebrities and young people, and I don't see the need to make such a distinction or invent such a term as "selfie president".

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Google has 1,130,000 results about president Obama using the phone for selfies,Bing has 4,160,000 results ,yahoo has pages,etc.

2. Thief12 profile image91
      Thief12posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I wrote "George Bush selfie" and it brought 1,640,000 results. But what does that mean? and is it really relevant to make a distinction as to call anyone "the first selfie president"?

3. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I guess I should restate my question; Is president Obama the first president to use Selfies to promote his causes and communicate with citizens?

4. Thief12 profile image91
      Thief12posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Is he using "selfies" to "promote his causes", or is he using them just like any other individual does, as a result of a societal trend? Are they his selfies, or his follower's? Either way, like I said, he is not the 1st pres. to take selfies.

working