jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)

Be careful of blocking specific adsense ads,,,,

1. Bill Manning profile image74
    Bill Manningposted 7 years ago

I blocked a few adsense ads in my account as I saw some I did not want showing on my sites.

But after several days my clicks went way down and the amount per click was very low. So I unblocked them.

A few hours later my clicks went back up and the amount for each also went up! smile

The trouble is some of those URL's are a big company that has thousands of different ads Google can show.

So by blocking one ad you can be blocking hundreds of options from that same URL. If it does not hurt you, don't block the ads! smile

1. Mutiny92 profile image78
      Mutiny92posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I did not know that - thanks Bill!

2. relache profile image92
    relacheposted 7 years ago

In the ad customization area of AdSense, they'll show you what is paying really low and what isn't. 

And I block things I am ideologically opposed to regardless of what the pay rates are.

Bill Manningposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well I was blocking those grouply coupon ads, and those "one trick to a slim stomach" ones.

But those are served off a much larger ads website. So if you just block the main URL those come from, your blocking many more ads than those.

I tried to just block the individual ad, but the way it's set up there was no way to do it. The ads are served by a "get ads" script from the main URL.

So if you block those particular ads, your blocking a whole network of ads. smile

3. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

anytime you block an advertiser that appears on your page, you are closing the door on the highest paying bidder and will always receive the next highest bidder

1. HELLA profile image59
      HELLAposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So you're saying it doesn't really matter then...?

Bill Manningposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure who your referring to. If you block ads, your amount you get per click could go down, as your blocking ads that have paid the highest to be shown.

So as of right now I'm not going to block any ads, unless I get some really annoying ones.

However like I said, you have to be careful with the URL your blocking. If you block the main URL of an ad site that serves hundreds, you could be blocking dozens of ads, not just the one you want to block. hmm

2. sunforged profile image75
        sunforgedposted 7 years agoin reply to this

it does matter - block advertisers = get less money, contrary to misinformation commonly spread.

1. HELLA profile image59

It makes logical sense. I think I'll just let them roll. Thanks for the help guys. At some point I'll be one of the ones helping others! Cheers.

4. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 7 years ago

Great post!  Thanks for the heads up!

5. relache profile image92
    relacheposted 7 years ago

After blocking a bunch of ads in my AdSense account, my earnings and eCPM went up without me having made more Hubs or having taken promotional actions.

And that increase has now been going on for several months, so I'm confident the adjustments I made were beneficial.

1. WryLilt profile image93
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads up Relache. You got me curious and I've just applied for the Ad Review Centre - no idea there was such a thing. smile

6. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

your accountlacks the necessary details to be of any use.

Blocking an ad that you feel is off-topic or unappealing could result in a better designed ad that attracts more clickthroughs and therefore more earnings.

on the other hand - new advertisers could have joined AW, your SERP position could have changed for a certain search query etc etc.

the only thing that couldnt have happened is the appearance of better paying ads as a result of blocking the current highest bidders

1. relache profile image92
      relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you read my first post, you'd see that I said that AdSense will tell you what is paying the lowest.

It stands to reason from that statement that I blocked those ad categories.

1. HELLA profile image59

Relache, where does Adsense tell you lowest and highest paying adverts? I am in Adsense Setup and Review Center...

7. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 7 years ago

I never had that problem then again I haven't checked what is showing too much on those pages. I filtered 3 years ago.

working