- Android Phones
How to Use GPS without Data Plan on Android
Using GPS without Internet Connection
I do not have an iPhone. That is why I could not test this process of enabling GPS without data plan on Google Maps. So, I can’t tell you that this process, which I am going to elaborate to you, works as well on an iPhone or not. But it has worked like charm on my Android phone and shall also work fine with you.
This GPS without data plan is for Google Map app. If you use any other popular map services, then this method is not for you.
Some Android phone users have their phones heavily locked by the carriers. That is why I cannot guaranty that this method will work on each and every android phone. You may have to unlock or root your phone. But, for the users of free Android phones, no rooting is required.
Androidfan - Our Fan Page
We have created a new Facebook Fan Page named "Androidfan". Please visit the page and give a like.
Where to Use the GPS without Data
The places where GPS can be most handy, would, in most cases, be without any data coverage. If you are an explorer who loves to climb Nepal Himalaya, or to roam around the vast expanses of North – East Sahara, you should understand what I am trying to convey. Such wild places have no mobile coverage, any 4G, 3G or wi-fi data connection is a far cry. In such a place, you still can use your Android phone’s GPS to find the way! Yes, it is possible. The procedure is very simple and doable.
The Step by Step Process
You shall be in a 2G, 3G or Wi-Fi zone to set your GPS. Just follow the step by step instructions and see the magic.
· Open Google Maps.
· Now you shall have to open the map of the area which you want to explore with GPS without any data plan.
· After that click the options and select “Make available offline” from the pop up menu.
· Now you have to select the area with a square. After selecting it, GMaps start downloading that part of the map on your Android phone.
· Now open Settings. Find Location Services in the PERSONAL category.
Open Location services and uncheck Google Location Services.
· Now enable A-GPS, GPS EPO assistance, and GPS satellites.
· Now you shall have to open Google Maps again to use GPS without any data connection.
· Tap the blue my location icon to lock GPS.
· It would work as long as you will be in your previously downloaded area. You can enhance your area by selecting and downloading more map areas later.
Cast Your Vote
Is your Android phone's GPS good enough?
Some of the Best GPS Apps
Some of the best Android GPS apps are:
1) Sygic, 2) GPS Status Toolbox, 3) Find My Friends, 4) MapQuest, 5) My Tracks, 6) MapMyRuns etc.
Load more maps from the Google Maps to enhance the capability of your off-line GPS service. To download large sized Map data use Wi-Fi connection to do it quickly.
The size of the area can be determined by the zoom level. If you zoom closer, you shall get smaller area to download. Therefore, if you zoom closer, you shall have a smaller file size to download.
You shall be out of luck if that particular area does not get proper Satellite exposure. At-least, three satellites are needed to correctly find your position.