How to Root Motorola Droid 2 and Install CWM Recovery on it
In this guide, you will learn how to root your Motorola Droid 2 smartphone and install “ClockworkMode Recovery” on it. If you follow the procedure correctly then you will have the full administrator right to Android system areas. By default, the manufacturers keep the system parts hidden from a general user.
It is a common question asked by most users that why should they root their phone. Most of the novice users do not have the concept of Android system files or administrator privileges. To them I can say in short that the advantages of rooting are numerous.
After rooting, you can stop unwanted services and threads to free more RAM. So, you can play games with better graphics more smoothly. You can uninstall any program or bloatware to free space on your phone’s internal memory. You can even use certain programs or scripts to overclock the processor to make your phone snappier. If you like, you can underclock the cpu to make the phone more power efficient. You can unlock the phone from any carrier restrictions. There are many more interesting possibilities like installing Android 4 (ICS) on it.
You can follow this tutorial or leave at any moment if you do not agree with my terms which are listed below:
1) If you have no knowledge about how to do such types of operations, you will seek help of an expert or an experienced fellow.
2) You should understand that by rooting your handset, you may void your warranty.
3) It will be better to remember that your carrier may cancel your contract after rooting and/or unlocking the phone.
4) If anything happens to your phone or other electronics gadgets during the operation, the author will not be responsible. This process is tested before by advanced users and no problem or risk has not been reported. But, it is not possible to predict that every complex digital device like your phone will behave in the same way.
5) It is not illegal to root your phone but still if you feel uneasy about it, don't do it.
Why should you charge your mobile before root?
If you read about the how-to guides about rooting different phones, you may notice the above-mentioned advice is given every time. You need to charge your phone above 70% because of the following reason. A phone with lower battery charge may become switched off during the root process. If it happens, your phone may be bricked. In such cases, you need to go to the service center.
1) Charge your device to a minimum level of 70%
2) Do not try to use the method on any other phone than Motorola Droid 2 with Gingerbread.
3) Turn off any anti- virus or anti- malware software and firewalls. These programs may terminate the process midway.
4) Do not forget to backup all the important data. The contacts and messages will be deleted. The apps and games will also be gone if you do not take any backup.
Step by Step Instructions to Root
- Switch on your PC and download the Motorola one-click root package.
- After successful download, unzip the file using your favorite Zip software like Winzip or 7Zip.
- Save the files inside a folder. You can create a folder named “Motorola_Root” on your C: drive for that purpose.
- Now open settings menu on your phone. Go to "Applications" and then to "Development".After that, Check the box beside "USB Debugging" to keep it "On". By enabling it, you can bring your phone on development mode in which, the phone systems can be flashed from a PC.
Motorola Droid 2 Root Benefits - Overclocking the CPU - A Video
- Now, bring the USB cable and connect your handset with the computer.
- Select connection type to Charge only.
- After that, folks, go to your PC, open the folder which has been named as “Motorola_Root” (or any other name you have used).
- Find out the application named “MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe”.
- Double click on it to open it.
- A command prompt will appear with instructions.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
- That is all. Your phone is now rooted.
Installing CWM Recovery
- Download the "ClockWorkMode Recovery" files from here and Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap installer from this link.
- Wait until two APK files are downloaded on your PC.
- Now transfer the installer APK files to the “Motorola_Root” folder.
- Reconnect your phone if you have disconnected it.
- Then open a command prompt. You can do it by simple typing “command prompt” on the Windows Start menu search bar on Windows 7.
- After that, you should type the following command:“cd c:/Motorola_Root”
- Now put it “adb push bootstrap-126.96.36.199-droid2.apk /system/app/”
- Finally, the Clockwork Mode Recovery will be pushed into your phone and will be installed.
Post Your Opinion
Was this guide helpful? Have you tried to update the phone by using my method? Is there anything more which I can do for you? Feel free to post your comments and questions. Do not forget to give my post a valuable like.