- Android Phones
How to obtain Google Maps API release key ?
Steps to obtain Google API :-
Developing an android application that revolves around google maps can be really profitable if you really know what you are doing. There can be different kinds of applications like gps based apps, travelling apps, parking apps, fitness apps, the possibilities are countless. Developing an android application can be a fun thing to do if you really love apps.
Open SDK Manager and make sure that Google play services in the extras in SDK are installed.
Now you need to export your application. You just need to do a certain things to export your application listed below,
- Right click the package
- Right click Android Tools
- Export Signed Application package.
- Enter your Application name.
Create a new keystore. Set up the alias and passwords etc.
Save your finished Apk. You will see the SHA1 code, which is certificate fingerprint of your application in your Eclipse Window. You will need the SHA1 code to Obtain API key. If it does not work for you, another way to see the SHA1 code of your application is through Command prompt.
Open the keytool directory in the Windows. On my Computer it is like the above screenshot, but it can be little different depending on your jdk. You will need this path.
Change the directory in the command prompt to the above path .
- Open Command Prompt.
- Click Start.
- Type cmd in Search box.
- Type CD(for Change Directory) and the above path.
In Location, what you see is your keystore name, you will need this in the next step. It is basically where you saved your key of your application while exporting it.
Type this command in Command Prompt.
-- 'keytool -list -keystore your_keystore_name' .
Enter the keystore password. You will see the same SHA1, certificate fingerprint.
- Go to Google API's Console at - ' https://code.google.com/apis/console/ '.
On the Dashboard, above Overview,
- Click the Dropdown Menu and
- Click Create to Create a new project.
- Select Services.
- Scroll down to Google Maps Android API v2 and turn its switch On.
- Click API Access in left Menu.
- Click Create New Android Key.
- Enter SHA1 ; yourpackagename.
Don't forget the semicolon between the SHA1 key and package name.
- Save your API key somewhere.
Write this code in your manifest file just before .
In place of API_KEY enter your actual API key.
- Select Permissions.
- Click Uses Permission.
- From the Name Dropdown Menu, Select android.permission.INTERNET and Click Add.
- Save your Manifest and you are good to go.
Now that you have obtained the API key, set some permissions in the Android manifest file. You can continue adding google maps to your application.