What is Better than Skype?
What is Skype used for?
Skype is used as a free communication tool so that people can have a virtual meeting or video conference over the internet. It is a VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) platform. Skype is, of course, a great way to communicate. But, it's not without it's problems.
Many people have been asking me 'What is better than Skype?' particularly over the holiday season when they want to speak to friends and family abroad. Sometimes there can be a poor sound quality or connection on skype. Skype do charge for some services, particularly calls to mobile phones and land lines.
While skype could work out cheaper than calling from one landline or mobile to the other, I would still argue that Google hangouts is the way to go. You can have video conferences with more than one person at a time, without paying for the privilage. You will both need a Smartphone or computer on the internet. For the cost you will save in calls, I think it's definitely worth it, and much better than skype.
I will be exploring how to use these video conferencing methods, and why I think that Google Plus is a better option.
Advantages of Skype
If you are trying to contact someone who does not have a computer or internet access but does have a phone, skype could work well for you, because it offers cheaper calls than mobile or landline to mobile or landline. You can actually buy a skype phone with a headset, and top up credit to make calls. However, if you are using Skype to contact someone else for an internet call or video conference, you may experience poor call quality. In this situation, I would recommend having a look at Google +.
Skype books on Amazon
How do you set up a Skype Account?
- First, go to www.skype.com
- Click on get Skype.
- Click the green button to download Skype - it should say 'Get SKype for Windows Desktop'
- When you have downloaded the software, you will also need to create an account...https://login.skype.com/account/signup-form?return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%2Fportal%2Foverview
- If you already have a Facebook or Microsoft account, you can link them, and this will automatically fill in your profile.
- If you do not have a Microsoft or Facebook account, go ahead and fill in your name, email and profile details. You will be asked to create a Skype name and password (remember these!) and then click the green 'I agree' button once you have checked your information and agreed to the terms and conditions.
Why Google + is better than Skype
There are 5 key reasons why I think that Google + hangouts are better than Skype...
1. Better sound quality
2. Better picture quality
3. Better Features
4. Easier to use
5. Improves your online presence through social media
Google+ Books on Amazon
How to use Google Hangouts
Google Hangouts Special Effects
What is better than Skype? Other Free VOIP and SMS Options
In addition to Skype and Google Hangouts, there are many other free messaging applications to help you to communicate.
- What's App - This application can be downloaded on your iPhone or Smartphone. Although it will not do video conferencing, it works perfectly for instant messaging, which is free if you have WIFI. You can also record and send voice messages and send photos for free.
- Facetime - If you have an iPhone, you can download Facetime for free video conferencing. You can also install the Facebook messages app for free messaging when online.
- ZOOM - Zoom can also be downloaded as a free app for video conferencing. The advantage of zoom is that you can have more than one member of the conference on at the same time. We have recently done an Arbonne training conference with 20 team members on zoom. You can create a conference and send out a link or an ID to your team so that they can join the meeting.