- Computers & Software»
- Computer Science & Programming
Tutorial: Step by Step, How to turn webcam to an IP camera
This tutorial is to set a basic webcam(USB camera) to IP Camera
1. Basic USB Camera
2. PC, Laptop or considered as a computer.
3. YAWCAM Software, this is a freeware. You can download it here
4. Internet Connection
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 or later.
DirectX 9 or later.
Windows Media Player 9 or later.
Here I will show the instruction step by step.
1. Install YAWCAM.exe on your computer
Note: If you are missing any JAVA, or any of those. YAWCAM will allow you to download before the installation processes.
2. Launch YAWCAM
3. Go to Setting > Detect Webcam
4. Choose USB Video Device (Make Sure you select a right Device)
5. Enable Stream, and then Unblock the JAVA to Firewall exception.
6. Go to Start > Run > cmd > type “ipconfig” to find your ip address and default gateway
7. Access to your router by default gateway ip (mine is 192.168.1.1 )
8. Login to your modem/router (this can be different depends on your router)
9. Set the port forwarding / port triggering
YAWCAM uses UCP/TCP on stream
starting port 8081 and ending 8081 (See the picture)
Server IP address is your LOCAL IP address (This can be found in step#6)
10. Apply/Save your configuration
11. Go to YAWCAM again. Hit help menu and choose either
Am I online? Or What’s my URL? to check your status.
12. You’re all set.
You can see your webcam using the Local IP Address:port number
for example, my Local IP is 192.168.1.34:8081
I will use this address to see my IP Cam in internet browser.
To see your webcam online, you will have to use a different network connection through
your public IP Address:8081
Any questions? Just leave it here.
Thanks for reading.