15 Things You May Not Know About Walt Disney World, Florida
15 Things You May Not Know About Walt Disney World
Walt Disney World, one of the top vacation destinations in the world, but there are some things that you might not know about this wonderful world of fantasy and wonder.
I have been traveling to Walt Disney World, Florida for over 25 years now. I have been going at least once a year and I have seen many changes over the years. I can remember going with my parents in the early 70’s and purchasing the “tickets” for the rides.
They started out with the tickets like you would find at a carnival to the paper tickets, to plastic tickets to what they have now, the arm bands. I remember all the stages of the Disney tickets. We were there the first year that EPCOT opened, the first year that Hollywood Studios opened (aka MGM Studios) and the first year that Animal Kingdom opened.
Here are some interesting things that you may not know about the Walt Disney World Parks in Florida.
1. Walt Disney World has two abandoned parks, yes one is River Country. River Country was a very nice water park located right beside the Wilderness Campground. On my honeymoon in 1985 my ex-husband and I spent the day relaxing there. The other one is Discovery Island; this was a nature attraction that featured many animals, and birds.
2. Are you aware that you can’t purchase gum or tobacco products in the Disney Parks, and tobacco products are not sold on Disney property at all?
3. Have you ever wondered how Disney keeps their parks looking so fresh and beautiful? Well, every night rides are repainted and touched up.
4. If you or someone you know has been referred to by a Disney employee as a “treasured guest” that is code word for you are a jerk and other Disney employees have been warned about you.
5. There are vents on Main Street that pump out different scents, vanilla for one and at Christmas time peppermint.
6. The Animal Kingdom Park was also supposed to have a land for mystical animals, as well as real ones, but at the last minute this plan was scrapped. That is why when you look at the Animal Kingdom sign you will see a dragon.
7. The United States military is the number one purchaser of explosives, but Walt Disney World comes in second. Interesting isn’t it?
8. The costumed characters at the Walt Disney World parks and resorts are discouraged from giving adults a “high five.”
9. You can get a room in Cinderella’s Castle, but only if you win a contest, because this room is reserved for contest winners only.
10. Did you know that Space Mountain is the highest mountain in Florida? Well, for all intents and purposes it sure is!
11. You can order the “grey stuff” at the Be Our Guest Restaurant in Magic Kingdom, rumor has it the “stuff” is delicious!
12. Are you aware that John Lennon was at Walt Disney’s Polynesian Resort when he signed the documents that disbanded the famous Beatles?
13. How big do you think the aquarium in EPCOT ~ The Seas is? Well, would you be surprised if I were to tell you that Spaceship Earth could fit inside of it?
14. When I go to Walt Disney World I like to visit EPCOT when it rains for several reasons. One reason is that when it rains the rides are located inside, but the other reason is Spaceship Earth. Due to the unique design of Spaceship Earth guest who stand under it in the rain will not get wet. The drains take the rain away from you and spare you the injustice of getting wet in Walt Disney World. Although, that can still happen and if so you will be able to find ponchos for sale in gift shops.
15. Everyone is looking for hidden Mickey’s in the parks, but did you know that the largest one is located in Hollywood Studios? Yes, it is so big that you may not be able to pick it out from the ground. Ask a cast member about it.
Oh, and if you hear the code “V” come over a cast member’s radio this means vomit. I hate to think that someone got sick in Walt Disney World; after all it is supposed to be a happy place. I know that it is my happy place that is for sure.
In conclusion, I would love to see Walt Disney World bring back the River Country Water Park, it was a great place to go and have fun. They also have an empty building in EPCOT that once was home to the ride “Body Wars” is was dedicated to health and fitness, but now it sits empty except for special occasions.
When you take your trip to Walt Disney World, Florida check some of these things out for yourself and enjoy! After all, it is the most magical place on earth.
velzipmur a.k.a Shelly Wyatt
Magic Kingdom PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Photos of Magic KingdomClick thumbnail to view full-size
More Photos of Magic KingdomClick thumbnail to view full-size
Tom Sawyers Island in Magic Kingdom
If you have never taken the time to go over to Tom Sawyers Island in Magic Kingdom you should. This is a relaxing and beautiful island to take a rest or a time out.
Here you will find tunnels, and paths running all over the island, along with benches to sit and just relax on. Let the older children explore the island while you give your legs a rest.
Tom Sawyer's Island, Magic Kingdom
Have you ever been over to Tom Sawyer's Island in Magic Kingdom?
Tom Sawyer's Island Photos, Magic KingdomClick thumbnail to view full-size
Tikki Room, Magic Kingdom
It's a Small World Ride in Magic Kingdom
Walt Disney World
© 2014 Shelly Wyatt