15 of the Best Surfing Beaches - The Best Places to Surf for Surfing Holidays
What is surfing?
Surfing is an active water sport enjoyed by many on coastal regions worldwide. The surf board is paddled upon until the crest of a wave is reached, whereupon the surfer will then rise to a standing position on the surf board and ride the wave towards the shore. This is a very attractive and popular sport which there are many variations of. For example, a surfer can ride the long board or the short board. These differ in length, style and reflect in the riding of the waves.
Every year in various locations across the globe, surf competitions are held such as pipeline. This is where professional and experienced surfers will take to the ocean to ride some giant waves and compete for the best score. The phrase pipeline comes from the shape the wave makes when it peels over. The surfer will then surf underneath the pipe until they resurface as the wave breaks.
Those who relish in surfing as a main hobby will take to the ocean regularly, but where are the best spots to catch some fierce waves? There are many to choose from, so take note of the top 15 best places to surf to catch the wave you've been waiting for.
Top 15 Surf Destinations
- Australia's Gold Coast - Australia boasts some of the best surfing beaches that stretch for miles. The Gold Coast is a surfers paradise and is located on the southeast corner of Queensland. It is famous for its scorching climate and it's popularity for surfers. There is 70km worth of beaches here and some amazing point breaks which are: Mermaid Beach, Palm Beach, The Spit, Narrowneck and Main Beach.
- Mentawai Islands, Indonesia - The Mentawai islands consist of around 70 islands off the western coast of Sumatra in Indonesia. This is an extremely favoured spot for surfers due to the ferocious waves that tower for metres high. June-September is the time when the most swells come, giving the ultimate surfing expeience. Surfers tend to pay to surf in this area, so bear this in mind.
- Waikiki, Hawaii - A considerably famous destination for wave enthusiasts, this beautiful part of Hawaii gives perfectly curved waves all year round. For those who are not as experienced in surfing, this area is perfect for catching some smooth waves that are a little easier to perfect.
- Santa Cruz, California - Based in the South of San Francisco, Santa Cruz holds an endless amount of surfing areas for surfers who range from beginner to professional. Steamer Lane has fantastic waves to ride, whereas at Cowell's there are simple waves for learners to feel at ease.
- Hossegor, France - This is the surf capital, and the reason being that there is a beautiful stretch of beach with powder soft sand and an ocean with beautiful breaks in the waves. This is also a cheap option for those who are planning surfing holidays on a budget.
- Ericeira, Portugal - The first surf competition held in Portugal was based in Ericeira, and since that time in 1977 the destination has been bombarded with surfers. There are big wave spots here with desirable breaks.
- Barbados - Of course, Barbados can be a pricey destination to embark upon, however it is completely worth it for the level of waves that can be found here for surfers. Many top surfers come here every year.
- Bali, Indonesia - Another destination in Indonesia that is renowned for its surf is Bali. This is the home for surf and Bali holds some astounding beaches with views that go for miles. Aswell as this, the hot temperatures and perfect breaks in the waves make it ideal for surfers near and far. Waves often reach 15 ft.
- Pavones, Costa Rica - In Pavones, surfers of all ages and levels of experience can participate in some fun surfing. Waves of 200m are great for gentle surfing and some breaks curl into waves that surfers will adore.
- Fuerteventura, Spain - Fuerteventura is part of the Canary Islands and is the second biggest of the islands. The temperatures here rarely fall below 20°C and there are countless areas on this island where the most magnificent waves can be discovered.
- El Salvador - El Slalvador borders Guatemala and Honduras. Being a big tourist attraction spot, surfers from far and wide visit throughout the year due to the fact the beaches are not too crowded. This gives a good shot at catching some crazy waves.
- Santa Catarina, Brazil - Brazil is a truly beautiful country with natural landscapes and tropical beaches. It is a popular country for visitors because there are many beaches here. There are a mix of wave types here from small to gigantic.
- Samoa - This is part of the Samoan Islands just north east of Fiji. Warm waters, great views and consistently quality waves provide a satisying experience for all surfers.
- Honolua Bay, Hawaii - Hawaii is the home of surf and boasts clean waters with the perfect rips in the waves for an impressive surf.
- Palm Beach, Florida - Reef Road in Palm Beach Florida is one of the top surf destinations to catch some serious waves. This is a hot spot for those who want to learn or perfect their skills on surfing holidays.