5 Fun Facts About Indianapolis!
1) Indianapolis Is Home To The World's Largest Single Day Sporting Event
The Indianapolis 500 is held each year on Memorial Day weekend and is called "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing." The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the biggest spectator sporting facility in the world and has more than 250,000 permanent seats. Attendance on race day is estimated to be over 400,000.
2) Except For Washington D.C., Indianapolis Has More Memorials Honoring Veterans Than Any Other U.S. City
The Indiana War Memorial Plaza Historic District is home to over twenty acres of monuments, statues, sculptures, museums, parks, and fountains in the heart of the city.
3) Indianapolis Is Home To The World's Largest Children's Museum
It's has lots of frequently updated hands on exhibits and activities and is a top tourist attraction for family vacations.
4) Indianapolis Is Nicknamed "The Crossroads of America"
More interstates connect in Indianapolis than in any other U.S. city.
5) Indianapolis Hosts The Country's Largest Half-Marathon
It takes place in May each year and sells out with 35,000 participants! Part of the course is a complete lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.