8 Fun Facts About Las Vegas!
1. Las Vegas is home to the world's largest mechanical neon sign! This sign is an enormous neon cowboy unofficially called Vegas Vic that towers over Fremont Street.
2. Over 38 million people visit Las Vegas each year making it one of the most popular tourist destinations in the United States!
3. The Stratosphere Tower is the tallest structure in Las Vegas. It is also the tallest freestanding observation tower in the United States at 1,149 ft. The observation decks and thrill rides at the top of the tower are popular attractions.
4. According to venere.com over 60,000 pounds of shrimp are consumed in Las Vegas every day! Many of these are consumed in the form of shrimp cocktail. Who knew a seafood hors d’oeuvres would be so popular in the desert?
5. According to one source, the hours a day an average visitor gambles is four and the average gambling budget for a trip is $560. No wonder Las Vegas has around 200,000 slot machines!
6. Does it seem like there is a lot of neon in Las Vegas? In fact, there around fifteen miles of neon tubing downtown and on the strip!
7. Out of the 20 largest hotels in the world, Las Vegas contains more than half! The largest hotel in Las Vegas is the MGM Grand which boasts over 6800 rooms.
8. Las Vegas is over one hundred years old. In fact, Las Vegas celebrated its 100th birthday in May of 2005.