- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Africa»
- Travel to Eastern Africa
Amboseli: The Exotic African Dream Destination
Have you been looking for an exotic African dream get away? Well get your items, set your gears and lets ride to Amboseli National Park. There are three reasons to visit the Amboseli: to explore the magnificent large population of elephants, to witness the exquisite site of Mt. Kilimanjaro and to relax in the wild away from the ordinary. It is from the park that you can see the iconic view of the Roof of Africa well known from movies and magazines.
Amboseli National Park is located in Loitoktok district, Rift valley province of Kenya. The area is mainly grassland spread across the Kenyan-Tanzania border. In most cases, the weather is hot and dry. A few extreme cases of drought and floods have been recorded in the past.
Tourist Attractions in Amboseli
- Wildlife - Amboseli National Park is famous for being home to the African elephant. It is the one place you can have a closer view of thousands of elephants. The vast land is also home to a number of wild animals such as lions, buffaloes, Hippos, Water fowl like pelican, Egyptian goose, zebras, wildebeest, Impala, cheetahs, leopards among others.
- Birdlife - The Park is home to over 400 bird species including the lesser flamingo; many ducks, Darters, Heron nest in the wetlands and Martial eagles.
- Maasai Culture - The park is located within the Maasai community; a popular tribe in Kenya well known for its culture. While at the park, you will be welcomed by Maasai traditional dancers and you will also have a chance to purchase some of their unique ornaments.
- Swamps - Within the park sits a unique dried-up Pleistocene lake and semi-arid vegetation both of which are protected by the park.
- Mount Kilimanjaro - While at the park you will enjoy a spectacular view of Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest free-standing mountain in the world.
Things to do in Amboseli
Aside from enjoying the delicious African cuisines and the famous Kenyan Tusker, there are other activities to do while in Amboseli. For recreation you can go for swimming on sunny days or take a gym session or spend the day at the spa.
You can start your day with game viewing in open tourist vans. Early mornings are the best time to catch the lions and cheetah which are so rare to find during the day. If you are lucky to experience the sun rise, you will have a better view of Mount Kilimanjaro. Ensure you carry your camera to capture those memorable moments.
In the evening, you can choose to have some fun in the wild by lighting campfires in the bush while you enjoy your meals and drinks. There are designated safe camp sites for those who would like to explore some camping in the wild.
Accommodation in Amboseli
Whether you are looking for a camping experience or 5 star accommodations, you will be spoilt for choice by the many accommodation facilities in Amboseli. The park has hotels, lodges and luxury tented camps that offer accommodation and meals at affordable rates. Some of the best facilities in Amboseli include;
Ol Tukai Lodge
The exquisite lodge ranks the best in Amboseli as reviewed by customers on Trip Advisor. It is adorned in beautiful European and African architecture in the middle of beautiful palm trees. The rooms are excellent with large balconies that enable you to view grazing animals at close range. They have experienced English speaking chefs and attendants. The food is sumptuous and the staff efficient and welcoming. The rates range from as low as $130 in low season to as high as $450 in peak season.
Amboseli Serena Lodge
This 5 star safari lodge is perhaps the most luxurious facility in Amboseli. It is located in the middle a beautiful acacia plantation. The park is strategically placed to overlook the beautiful scenery of Mount Kilimanjaro. When you are not gaming in the wild, you can enjoy a swim in their free-form swimming pool right outside the rooms. Their professionally trained chefs can prepare almost any type of meal. To top it up, the lodge has theme nights where different types of local and international cuisines are prepared. Full board accommodation rates are between $119 and $ 392 depending on the season.
Tortilis Safari Camp
Safari lovers can opt for this luxurious facility considered to be the first “boutique eco-lodge” in Kenya. Accommodation in this environment friendly facility comprises makuti covered tents, family tents and a private house. All rooms are en-suite with private bathrooms and hot showers. This being a Stefano Cheli creation, expect to enjoy some Italian delicacies. The chefs also prepare a variety of dishes served in-house or as bush breakfast and sundowners.
While in Amboseli National Park, you are in a completely different world, an amazing world to connect with nature, make friends with new faces and engage in the Amboseli wilderness social life. If you love adventure and wildlife it’s high time you booked your holiday in Amboseli, Kenya. Am sure you will bring out the best of your tour, its one you cannot miss for the world.