- Travel and Places
Camping Near Crocodiles
Camping in the Kimberley
Are you keen to go camping up in the Kimberley or Kakadu National Park in Western Australia but worried about the vast number of crocodiles that are around these days ?
Fortunately most you see are freshwater crocodiles like the one that surprised me while kayaking yesterday around a small island out from Kimberleyland Caravan Park in Kununurra , he had been basking in the sun then slipped into the water right by me !I am sure if they were salties we wouldn't be allowed to camp this close to the waters edge !
We sit looking at the water of an evening watching everyone look for the crocodile I have a picture of in the water further down the page !
As long as you follow the signs you see near any water you come across you will be safe !
However as we travel further afield there will be more salties ( Saltwater crocodiles ) so I am doing this hub as a reminder to myself & others who love swimming to BEWARE OF CROCODILES!
As much as I love swimming I stay away from the water when there are crocodile signs however so many tourists & locals still go in the water & that is where their trip ends sadly.
Crocs in the Kimberley
Salt Water Crocodile
Take Notice Of Signs
Crocodile Rules for safety
Make sure you observe the rules when in crocodile country.
If there is a sign saying no swimming then DON"T SWIM as there is no sign for them not to attack us !
Camp at least 50 meters away from the waters edge and even more if you want to really relax at night.
When out in a boat keep all parts of the body you treasure inside the boat, well inside the boat .
Keep your children with you at all times and keep watching them.
Don't stand with your back to the water - Ever .
If you are going fishing everyday for a few days keep changing the place you fish from daily as they are watching & will attack if you are regularly in one spot .
Stay away from the waters edge at night Well away !.
Be careful when getting in & out of your boat on the waters edge .
Never feed a crocodile even if there isn't a sign.. It is using common sense.
Don't clean fish you have caught near the waters edge as this will attract them to you .
We are in Kununurra now then will be heading to explore Katherine & up to Darwin, Kakadu National Park etc,I have never been to the Northern Terri
Follow Warnings on Signs
Watch out for beady eyes !
Saltwater crocodiles are very conservative with their energy, and they stalk their prey, hide under water and wait.and watch .A crocodile you can see is less dangerous than one you can't see so be aware - Never stand on what you think looks like a floating log ! Next time you look that log can be nowhere to be seen .
If you see sliding marks leading into the water then stay well back from the waters edge as there is someone possible licking his lips thinking it is dinner time.
However it is a beautiful place to visit and awesome to see these animals in the wild so have a great time and enjoy crocodiles in their natural habitat.
- On February 8, 2009, 5-year-old Jeremy Doble was attacked by a crocodile in FNQ on the Daintree River where I have been on a river cruise.. Police confirmed that human remains found in a saltwater crocodile caught nearby were those of the boy.
- As we travel toward Darwin I will be very careful as there have been a few attacks there such as In March 2009, an 11-year-old Briony Goodsell was killed by a saltie in the Black Jungle Swamp in the outskirts of rural Darwin, Australia.
- In April 2009, a 20-year-old local man was taken by a crocodile while the man was swimming with his brother at night in the Daly River about 150 km south of Darwin, Australia
- A young guy age 22, was killed after wading into the Finniss River, 80 km from Darwin, Australia and an 8-year-old girl was killed by a 5-metre crocodile near the Northern Territory coastal community of Maningrida, Australia.
- There have been more attacks here and overseas yet many tourists visit each year and those that follow the rules get to carry on with their journey.
- a 23 year old German tourist is taken in Kakadu National Park when swimming in a billabong at night time. Don't swim in still and deep waters, don't swim in unknown waters, be particularly careful at night time. The waterhole was known to be crocodile infested..
- .Belgian tourist is bitten on the leg after wading into the water at Cape Tribulation, to attract a crocodile closer, so he can take a better picture. How stupid can you get???
- If you suddenly stop hearing from me ................................. !