Chiang Dao Nest: A Review of Accommodations in Chiang Dao
Nestled in a valley surrounded by mountains, Chiang Dao Nest has two resorts in a charming and peaceful location. Both Chiang Dao Nest 1 and Chiang Dao Nest 2 have perfectly spread out bungalows and lovely garden areas that have fantastic mountain views. Both nests also provide an amazing dining experience which is totally unexpected in such a remote area.
Chiang Dao Nest 1
Located almost at the edge of the Chiang Dao National Park, it is surrounded by fantastic limestone formations that can be viewed from its beautifully decorated garden where they have an outdoor dining area as well as several Thai-styled lounging areas. They've also got a couple of rocking horses for little kids.
Across Chiang Dao Nest 1 is an annex with a small swimming pool, a table tennis area and a massage hut. Both the pool and table can be used without extra charge. The massage, however, can be booked at the reception at the price of 700 baht for two hours.
The best feature of Chiang Dao Nest 1 is that it has a gourmet restaurant that serves tasty dishes like lamb tagine, risotto and salmon in filo pastry. It also has a tempting selection of desserts.
The Food in Chiang Dao Nest 2
Chiang Dao Nest 2
Chiang Dao Nest 2 is located near the Chiang Dao Cave, a tourist attraction which contains a lot of interesting stalagmite and stalactite formations. It also has wonderful mountain views and a garden area that has hammocks and lounge chairs.
Another feature of this resort is the dining area which serves exquisite northern Thai dishes. Some are quite spicy. Although they serve mainly Thai dishes, cakes are also served here in order to have more variety in dessert choices.
They usually close both restaurants in order to prepare a huge barbecue buffet at Chiang Dao Nest 1. This includes grilled vegetables, meat and seafood which are served outside. The indoor dining area has a huge spread of different sauces, salads and snacks. A local band is also invited to perform during that night.
The service in both Chiang Dao Nest 1 and Chiang Dao Nest 2 is amazing. You really feel the warmth and hospitality of the people working there. They definitely live up to the definition of "aiming to please." From booking tours to giving you directions, they will do their best to grant your requests. They even give out maps that was sketched by the owner herself.
Unlike most resorts or restaurants, drinking water is given for free here. Service charge is not added to the bill despite the amazing service. It is up to you to live them a tip.
Both Nest 1 and 2 have well-decorated bungalows with comfortable beddings. All bungalows have an en-suite bathroom with hot water as well as air conditioning. Each bungalow is provided with homemade kafir lime shampoos and soaps as well as an information book, a safe, two umbrellas, a flashlight, slippers, robes, towels, razor, q-tips, sewing kit, detergent, hangers and two complimentary water bottles and glasses. In the wardrobe, you will also find two labelled laundry bags (one for clothes to be washed and one for clothes to be washed and ironed). These bags are sent to a local laundry and are returned within a few hours.
- Chiang Dao Nest - Chiang Mai Resort
Chiang Dao Nest Resorts, Restaurants, Tours and Treks, Chiang Dao, Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand.
Tips for a Wonderful Stay
- Book a massage. It may seem expensive as it's probably more than double the price of your usual massage in Chiang Mai. But, think again. This is a two-hour Thai hot compress massage. It's nothing like the stretching Thai massage or oil massage your asked to choose from in most massage places. This is the real deal. The masseuse, Lin, has amazing massaging techniques where you get a good stretch and a good rub at the same time. The hot compress at the end of it finishes off the massage session really well. Also, you can customize the massage by letting reception know which part of your body you would like her to focus on.
- Take a walk. Don't just go to the tourist spots on Lonely Planet. Explore the area and enjoy the charming landscape.
- Tip. This place doesn't add a service charge to the bill. So, do tip and let the staff know that you are pleased with their service.
- Share. Food portion, especially for Nest 2 is huge.
- Hang out with fellow travelers. It's nice to hang out by the bonfire at night.
- Look at the stars. The name "Chiang Dao" means city of stars so expect clear skies filled with these twinkling gems.