Coorg: An amazing destination in South India
Whats your Opinion?
Which is the best means to reach Coorg?
Things to do at Coorg
- Coorg is a great choice for trekkers as the amazing natural beauty can be enjoyed during the monsoon season. Major trekking points are Pushpagiri, Kotebetta, Tadiandamol, Brahmagiri, Choma Kundu, Nishani Motte, Mandalapatti and Tungapare.
- Fishing or boating in Lake Honnamana Kere.The relaxed atmosphere of this place is exquisite for fishing and boating.
- Buying traditional weapons and Coorgi costumes
- Ayurveda treatments and massage
- Checking out the local food and the famous Coorg coffee
Kodagu or Coorg is among the smallest districts in Karnataka with an area of 4104 sq.km. It was an individual state before it got merged with Karnataka in the year 1956. The district consists of 3 administrative units or taluks namely, Mercara or Madikeri, Somwarpet and Virajpet. It shares its borders with Mysore to its east, Hassan district in the north, Kerala to its south and on the west with Dakshin Kannada district.
River Cauvery is the biggest river here, which is worshiped by the local people. The tributaries of this river flow in the entire Coorg region. The district of Coorg is well-known as the biggest coffee producer of India. Apart from that label, it also produces cardamom, oranges and pepper. It is one of the few places in India that receives the heaviest rainfall per annum. It exceeds 160 inches annually, with the dense forests receiving rainfall between 120-150 inches and the western bamboo district getting around 60-100 inches. Tadiandamol is the loftiest peak with a height of 5729ft. Pushpagiri, standing at 5626ft, is another major peak in this region.
Coorg is well-connected with all the major Indian cities and states via an extensive network of communication. Some great feasible options are available for those who are planning to enjoy their vacation here depending on their convenience, preference and budget.
- By Air: Mysore airport is the closest airport which is around 120 kilometers away from Coorg. Coming second is the Mangalore Airport which is located at a distance of 135 kilometers. Bangalore Airport comes third and is about 250 kilometers far. One can easily fly from anywhere to any of these airports and then can board a taxi, car or bus to reach Coorg.
- By Train: Nearest railway station is at Mysore which is about 55kms from Coorg. Mysore offers some extensive railway networks that help in connecting the region with the rest of India. Trains can also be boarded from Hassan or Mangalore.
- By Road: Coorg's road-network connects it with every major city of Karnataka. It is well connected with the cities of Mysore, Hassan, Mangalore and Bangalore. While travelling by road, one can enjoy the place's scenic beauty to its fullest.
Staying and travelling around Coorg
As far as accommodation in Coorg is concerned plenty of options are available for the visitors to choose from. From luxurious and inspiring hotels to eco-friendly resorts will make anyone feel at home. Staying in coffee plantations can also provide a good experience to the visitors.
If spending a few days away from the hustle and bustle of city life and relaxation is on one's mind, then they can pat their back and say to themselves that they have chosen the right destination. For travelling around Coorg, one can use auto rickshaws, car rentals, buses, hiring cabs or simply walk.
Auto rickshaws are mighty cheap and are readily available at the doorsteps. These are great for travelling within the city, but for long-distance visits, it may not be the wise choice. Here, every bus-stand accompanies a typical auto rickshaw stand.
Bargaining is allowed at the time of hiring a taxi. One should make sure that a complete schedule list is provided to them before hiring, as it helps in avoiding problems later. Rates may differ if one starts to alter their plans or add new destinations. Coorg's taxi-drivers are quite friendly and polite. Upon request, the hotels/resorts/plantations will book a taxi/cab for their visitors.
Vehicles are available on an hourly, daily or on package basis. Buses by both private and government operators runs throughout the district. They are usually available in two categories- Express and Shuttle. Therefore, if you are looking forward to travel to a destination which is full of natural elements then Coorg can certainly be on your list.
Also read more about what to expect at Coorg
Other Places to visit near Coorg
- Dubare Reserve Forest & Elephant Camp
- Byle Kuppe
- Cauvery Nisargadhama
- Talacauvery & Bhagamandala