Family Ski Resorts
While skiing used to be dominated by adults, today most ski resorts cater to families, offering kids’ programs, ski school, and snowboarding instructions. Many ski resorts cater to families by providing child care, nurseries, and games and activities for teens.
- Thanksgiving Family Travel Tips
Holiday traveling with your family can be the best of times and the worst of times. Spending time together and visiting relatives can be a bright spot in your year; but fighting crowds, coping with unexpected...
When selecting a ski resort for your family vacation, here are some things to consider:
- Select a ski resort that caters to families. Many of the more famous and “glitzy” ski resorts are not as family-friendly as smaller ones. Consider whether the resort has appropriate lodging for your family, offers daycare or children’s programs, or has beginning school for your younger skiers.
- Choose smaller ski resorts for lower crowds. Especially if you have small children, you know what a chore it is to navigate large crowds. Standing in lines amidst the masses can make children uncomfortable at best and difficult at worst. Picking a resort that typically has smaller numbers of skiers can help you avoid this hassle.
- If you are on a budget for your vacation, consider all aspects of the trip that will be an expense for you. For instance, ski resorts that are farther from airports will necessitate extra travel. Does the ski resort lodging provide any meals? If not, you will be paying for that expense as well.
- Finally, consider the altitude of your resort of choice. Resorts at higher altitudes may cause altitude sickness or headaches for you or your family members.
Alta Mountain, Utah
Alta Mountain is for skiers only, and is located near Salt Lake City in Utah. Alta is one of seven resorts within 40 miles of the Salt Lake City airport. Salt Lake City is known for its great skiing and easy accessibility. Alta is also known for its slopes that vary widely in difficulty; both beginners and intermediate skiers will find the ski run that is right for them.
Aspen Ski Resort, Colorado
Aspen has been a very popular destination for decades. It has lots to offer families, including Victorian style architecture, terrific shopping, and wonderful restaraunts. The resort offers many different kids programs and one lift ticket will give you access to Snowmass, Aspen, Aspen Highlands, and Buttermilk mountains.
Big Bear Lake, CA
Big Bear Lake in San Bernadino Forest in California is a well-kept secret. This family-friendly resort features many activities for children. Snow tubing and small independent lodges make this resort a unique destination for families.