- Travel and Places»
- Travel Activities & Ideas
Galapagos Vacation - Basic Facts
Sally Lightfoot Crab
Top 8 Reasons for a Galápagos Holiday
- Virtually the entire region is a nature preserve. Over 97% of the Galápagos is Galápagos Islands National Park and off limits to human development. Few areas in the world are this close to their natural state.
- Unique Animal Life. Nowhere else in the world is one going to be able to find giant tortoises, penguins on the equator, lava lizards, and other varieties of species all in the same location.
- Volcanoes: The Galápagos region has more active volcanoes than any other place in the world. In fact, Fernandina, the westernmost of the islands is made of almost exclusively of a volcano and the rocky soil that volcano has formed.
- Every season is tourist season: Temperatures vary little throughout the year. All one has to do is choose whether to visit during the dry season. The rainy season (December-May) is preferred for those who are vulnerable to seasickness and prefer to swim or scuba dive in warmer waters. The dry season (June-November) favors those who want to see more undersea activity.
- Swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving: For adventure travelers, there’s no shortage of opportunities to experience the calm blue waters and explore undersea activity.
- Accessibility: In spite of the isolation of many Galápagos tourist sites, numerous ships are available to take people to islands not inhabited by humans if so desired.
- Lodging: Cruise ships are available for those who want to see more islands in a shorter time, hotel options are also available for those who prefer to minimize their time on boats or stay in a more specifically defined area.
- Casual atmosphere: Given the type of activities one experiences in a nature preserve and the comparatively restrictive weight limits on luggage, casual clothing and swimwear are standard in this part of the world. Business casual might be required for some meals on luxury cruises, but that’s about as formal as this environment gets.
- Why Galápagos? | GO-LAPAGOS
A brief introduction on getting to the Galápagos and tour options.
Galapagos Travel Books
A Scene from the Islands
Terrain Map of the Galápagos
© 2015 Will Healy