- Travel and Places
Get Packing: Things to consider when going on a trip
To some people the least favorite part of going on a trip maybe the packing, but for me its the point when I realize vacation is just a few days away! If you are going on a trip for business or pleasure these tips and check list maybe of assistance!
- Make a check list of what do you need and what you want to bring?
- Make sure you have all important documents, IDs, and cards needed Passports can take time for processing, make sure you have your money or bank card, licences, Military ID's (lots of places have military benefits), etc
- Make a list of numbers hotel, cell numbers, restaurants (for reservation), etc - if you have someone watching children or pets always leave information lists and emergency contact numbers! Have the hotel number on you to check on room status sometimes you maybe able to check in early!
- A few days before departure do some laundry- you will have more options to bring with you and when you come home there is less laundry to do!
- Start laying aside some outfits you want to bring- think about some of the activities you will be doing swimming, dancing, office meetings, hiking, etc.
- Always pack at least one extra outfit and set of under garments- you never know if you need an extra outfit especially if the place you are staying at doesn't have access to laundry
- If going to the beach pack a couple of bathing suits or if going to the mountains pack extra snow gear- putting on wet clothes the next day is never fun have a nice dry set ready for the next day! (also if wet clothes are not dry before you leave for home place them in a plastic bag and remove them as soon as you get home)
- To help save room lay shoes flat on the bottom of your suitcase so they fit together right ankle to the left toe, right toe to left ankle- if your shoes are dirty place them in a plastic bag
- Pack a small first aid kit you never know when you need a band aid, hand sanitizer, cough drops, tums, headache medicine, etc.
- Always place liquids in a Ziploc baggie to protect clothes in case of spillage. Glass perfumes and colognes should be wrapped for protection and placed in a baggie as well- to save space you may want to purchase small sample sized bottles at the store or empty shampoo bottles that you can use to fill with your favorite shampoo etc
- When flying use your carry on as a back up in case your checked luggage is lost pack one of your outfits, a set of undergarments, and your toiletries - remember carry on liquids need to be 3.4oz containers, 1quart clear baggie, 1 bag per person- place this baggie on top for easy access during security check
- Again if flying have all proper documents out and ready upon check in and security check!
- If you can pack one bag and a smaller bag, or share a large suitcase- My fiance and I tend to share a large bag on longer vacations and use smaller bags for those weekend getaways!
- Pack the night before if leaving early in the morning or place your bags by the front door to make sure you don't forget anything!
- When packing the car place heavy bags on the bottom and lights on top- always make sure that your bags are safely secured and that you view is not obscured
- When going on long road trips pack a small cooler- you can save money by bringing drinks and snacks from home! You can also make sandwiches before you leave. Leave mayo and moist food such as tomatoes to the side to be added later to keep bread from becoming soggy
- If you are staying at a place that has a full kitchen pack a large cooler of foods and beverages that you may have prepared ahead of time (which can be frozen and used to keep other foods cold as well) Once at destination you can go to the local grocery store and pick up other foods such as milk and lunch meats
So did you pack?
- ( ) sets of shirts
- ( ) sets of pants
- ( ) sets of undergarments (underwear, socks, bras)
- ( ) sets of formal attire
- Shoes (dress, hiking, sandals, tennis shoes, etc.)
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
- Shampoo/ Conditioner/ Body wash/ lotion/ Perfume/ Cologne (optional rags/towels)
- Hair pins/ ties
- First aid kit
- License, passport, ID's, money, hotel confirmations, plain tickets, park tickets etc.
- Specialty gear- snow sports, beach, camping, etc
Hopefully this little list of tips can help you create a list of your own and help make packing a lot more easy so that you can enjoy your trip to the fullest! If you have any tips or little things you do before traveling please share them below!