- Travel and Places
How To Benefit From Timeshare Presentations: pay nothing and leave richer and happy
We have all been there. We want to get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life and take a trip to paradise - only to be bombarded by high pressure time-share sales presentations. Don't fear, these presentations can actually be your friend and benefit you as long as you know how to play the game.
I say "game", because essentially it is a game of tug-of-war between you and the sellers. A match of whits and of who can be the better salesperson: you (selling them why you won't buy) or them (selling you why you should buy).
How to benefit
- Place a value on your time: after all you are about to endure a 90 minute presentation on something you could care less about. If you really value your vacation time, you may want to receive at least $60/hr each. If you're staying at the resort for an extended period of time, you may value your time at $30/hr. Why is this important? proceed to step 2
- Add up the value of goods/services they will provide you for your time spent at the presentation. For example, on a recent trip to Hawaii, we were offered 2 Free tickets for the Atlantis Submarine - something we wanted to go on anyways while there. These tickets retailed for $110.00 each. 110 x 2 = $220.00 for 1.5 hrs of boredom ($73/hr each). Then we looked for ways to further increase our rate of return
- Timing is everything! To further increase your rate of return you are going to have to get up early! The early (breakfast) presentations will include coffe, juices and a mountain of pastries and fruit. If you stayed at the hotel, you would have gone down to the restaurant and bought breakfast. A continental breakfast usually runs about $15 - 20.00 per person.
- Now throw in the free gift certificates some shows give out (2 or 3 per show) and you are really starting to benefit! You are getting paid over $80/hr to eat and all you can eat breakfast while watching a couple videos and slide shows and an entertaining speaker. Of course, if you time valuation was, lets say $100/hr, you are better off relaxing at your resort and skipping the breakfast show.
- Best part is, once you survive the timeshare presentation or use your secret weapon (by knowing their tricks - read here), it is only 9:30 in the morning and you still have your entire day to enjoy the Free tickets you were given and digest your free breakfast!
TIP: You can haggle with the people offering the free tickets to get better deals. These people are paid "finders fees" by the resort offering time-shares. They can offer you better incentives to listen to the presentation if you ask. Also, price out the retail costs of the free gift. In our case, we chose the 2 submarine tickets at $110 each instead of the $100 gift certificate to a restaraunt ($220 vs $100 value).