ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How To Move Your Pet To The UK

Updated on January 30, 2008

Until recently, the Brits were pretty famous for having ridiculous laws regarding pet importation. A 6 month quarantine was mandatory, even your pet never missed a rabies vaccine in his life. I won’t get into the physiology of why 6 months was such an utterly absurd timeframe – because it just boggles the mind. Fortunately, they’ve changed their rules. Pets no longer need to be quarantined, provided they meet the following requirements, and are traveling from an EU or approved non-EU country. The following apply to all ferrets, cats and dogs – including service animals.

If you live in the EU:

  • Your pet needs a microchip. And, if you live in the EU, odds are you’ve already gotten him one. It should be located on the left side of the neck, and the ID on the chip should match the sticker found inside the passport itself.

  • Your pet needs to be vaccinated for rabies – and he needs the titre to prove it. This means, once he’s vaccinated, a blood sample needs to be taken to prove he’s really vaccinated. In other words, to prove that it worked. This needs to be done no less than 6 months before you move. Once you have the results, you won’t need to re-test, as long as you keep him vaccinated on time.

  • Your pet needs a tick treatment – and it has to be given by the vet. Yes, this is true. Frontline is all you need, it has to be marked in the passport and stamped by the vet. This needs to be done within 24 hours of being checked-in, and no more than 48.

  • Your pet needs a worm treatment – and it has to be given by the vet. Same situation as above – your vet will know which pill is required, as they only accept specific medications.

  • Your pet needs to enter the UK via an approved method of transport. You can fly, that’s obvious enough. But you can also cross by ferry and train. Check for a list of approved carriers for EU travelers.

If you live in the USA or another qualifying non-EU country:

The same rules apply, but you won’t have a passport. Instead, the vet will give you a number of documents (with carbon copies, most likely) to take with you.

  • Which carriers can I use? has a complete list of approved carriers for non-EU travelers. It's rather comprehensive.

  • How do I know if I’m from a qualifying country? The DEFRA website also has a list of qualifying countries.

  • I have a service dog and would like to have him in the cabin with me. It’s possible, visit and you'll find a special page just for you:

My advice:

If you’re thinking of relocating to the UK, get the titre now and have it be one less thing to worry about. As long as you stay on top of the vaccinations, you’ll never have to do it again. I also advise you read over the DEFRA website carefully, as rules can be subject to change.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)