- Travel and Places
How to Travel Alone without being Lonely
Travel is one of my best therapy and have being traveling around the country and many other countries and loving every bit of it. Top contributor at Triadvisor and a travel writer.
Are you a solo traveler?
You traveling alone could be intentional to have more excitement, freedom and flexibility, or it could be unintentional but due to factors beyond your control.
Regardless of why, going solo needs extra planning and per-preparation to make a safe and memorable journey and most importantly not feel lonely & lost. But you must not do too much planning as well since it will kill the adventure in your journey.
I have being traveling in my country and many other countries and have traveled 104,562 miles around the world and that's only 5%.
Here are my best tips which I have being using and succeeding with my traveling.
• Be prepared – Above everything else preparation matters a lot to go on a troublesome journey. Do lot of research, talk to people who have been there already and know as much as possible and plan your trip. You need to book your accommodation at least for the first few days of your journey. Plan to arrive during daylight as you don’t have to find your way in an unfamiliar city in dark all alone. Things you need to research are sometimes seldom considered such as food options, public transport availability, road signs, whether the locals speak English or some other language you can converse with, how soon you can buy a local mobile connection or use your own connection to roam, free Wi-Fi zones and can you use online maps and content to find your way (how rich the content also matter).
• Pack light – you should be able to manage your belongings by yourself with ease. Unnecessary burden will make you feel that you are left alone. While having the minimum you should have all your basic needs with you.
• Look engaged & cheerful, NOT bored and lost – Bored, lost and fear looks may encourage unwanted attention and invite others to take advantage on you. Use your phone or a book when you have to wait idle. If you happen to stay for few days longer better to register for a short course for language or cooking which will help you to meet locals and travelers just like you.
• Stay at home stays or hostels – Local families help you to settle with the location and life style way better than any chain hotels. They will provide you with practical information way better than hotels. Even you might feel that you are at a home away from home. Once you have a local family you will never feel you are alone. These hosts are guaranteed to keep you happy and safe like home away from home. Mix with others; start with a smile asking open ended questions and follow up with detail questions. Take small gifts from your country to give away for your hosts. That will help you to build a good relationship with them early as possible.
• Dress conservatively – Dress like the locals and wear a friendly smile. Wear conservative casual chic clothes and respect the culture and in return you will be respected too. A smile really does open the world for you.
• Use Social media wisely – Connect with right people with right level of security and privacy settings that enables only the people you want will know all your whereabouts. Constantly update status and photos of your journey to let your family and loved ones to know your status. Their likes and comments for your messages will make you happy and connected without feeling isolated. It also provides a security mechanism when to be alarmed. However use it wisely; after all you are on a journey to explore. There are plenty of homestay reservation services and home dining reservation services that you can use to reserve and plan your stay and meals in advance.
Further some services also allows to book local experiences as well such as small tours, engage in wood crafting or working in a local farm.
• Live that moment – At last don’t ruin your happiest moments in your life just because you are travelling alone. Take a selfie from your smart phone at great places you visit and let your thousands of friends know what you are experiencing. You will feel great and accomplished. Live in that moment embracing the experience by heart and soul.
Once you are done with solo travelling it adds more magnificent memories and will be happy that you were able to do things when you want and your own pace. It’s an experience of a life time to get lost in a strange place all by you and get to know brand new people, cultures, locations & experiences. That is worth of every second of worry planning such a travel and the risk you take to see this wonderful world and learn who you are.
You will definitely come back much stronger, wiser and happier.
Happy Traveling, Go for it!
Like to know ?
READ : How to Save Money on a Trip to Sri Lanka?