- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America
Immigrant Survival Tips in America
Immigrant Survival Tips in America
As an immigrant here in America, I learned a lot of coping mechanism to want to share It to every one who is also an immigrant here in America. It is always a hard thing to try to fit in into a different culture. America is known to be an accommodating culture so it is not hard for me to actually fit in and survived it. After many years I am enjoying my stay here and I am happily enjoying myself. This article is about immigrant survival tips in America. It is hard at first but then it is worth all the hardship I went through.
America is called the "Land of the Milk and Honey" but there are many things I have learned when I arrived here. I need to survive everything from the economy, societal structures, missing my friends relatives and the kind of culture I was used to. I also have to struggle about the language and the kind of foods that they have here. It is a challenging part of my life, but I think I survive it well enough to last me here. I want to share with you some tips on how to survive here in America as an immigrant.
Other people who are here said that difficult but then come to think of it, life is only difficult when you don't want to take the problems and solve it. America is a place with many options and things to offer and it is very accommodating. Of course it is never perfect but survival is a must. And you will learn it as time goes by.
Immigrant in the US
- Living the American way of life
The American way of life is characterized by an openness and accommodation. It is not at all difficult for acculturation because it embodies practices and lifestyles which are easy to adapt too. In the process...
- Know their language and learn it -- Most of us, people in the world except for some people in different countries know how to speak in English. If you don't now how to speak in English it is best if you learn it before coming here as it is a major tool for communication and understanding. I recommend buying Rosetta Stone guide for language learning, it will help a lot.
- Food -- In America, they sell everything and Walmart is the best place to buy anything, so you don't need to worry about food. American people are into fast foods and it is your take to choose fast foods that suits your needs and food preference. For me, I cooked my own food and rely so little on fast foods.
- Social and religious life
- Social life -- American people are friendly people, and they will greet you anywhere you go and they are ready to smile. Not all of them though, but then what I am saying is majority of them are friendly people, and you can immediately follow their culture, systems of belief by being friendly as well. It is best to have a friend which has the same culture as you or you can try to be involved in your neighbor so that you can share everyday activities with them, this will help a lot in coping mechanism.
- Find a small group which you can share or if you have nearest relative this is preferable as they may help you settle here.
- All amenities are available, movies, groceries, stores and malls, America is the center of capitalism so you can buy anything. You have to look for fun Sunday activities as well like parks and other entertainment areas.
- Religious life-- in America 70 plus percent are Protestants and the rest are Christians in different denominations. There are also atheist but it is negligible.There are houses of worship, just check in the area of your destination first.
- Transportation -- All people drive here in America, The minimum age required to get a drivers license depends on the state. Before you go here you need to learn to drive. In the cities, they have more profound and more nice transportation systems like subway. But generally transportation is not a problem. It is very important to have somebody you know in the area so that when you have a car problem or you cant drive yet, you can ask their help, a relative perhaps.
- Employment -- it is very easy to find job in America only if you are patient and willing to do any kind of job, at first it might be difficult as they pay importance to time and flexibility in the employees part but all in all, companies respect their employees as well. Contracts are well written and you can have a good pay only if you are patient.
Technology -- cellphones, Internet, telephone lines are in placed. They have a good electricity system as well. Internet is readily available whether you choose wi-fi or by telephone lines -- DSL.Since you can do everything with a snap of fingers here, you might as well get a cellphone and a line plus a telephone number and of course if you must avail of the Internet as well. Internet is helpful for searching something you want to find out and for reaching out to your relatives which you left behind.
- You can also call your relatives from abroad, just be patient in looking for the best deals.
- There are lots of television channels to hear the news as well, and they sell numerous newspapers so you will be at hand in news all over the world.
- School system is nice as they provide also school bus and it is accommodating to children who has to learn their language. If you have children, first verify the criteria whether you can enlist them here or what papers will you be needing, it is best if your children know and can fluently speak English so that that they don't have difficult coming here.
- Participate in community like you should at least know your community and be friendly, you never know when you are going to need the help of your neighbors as well
- Learn to become independent. I used to have two helpers in the country where I came form, hiring a helper here is expensive, and does you should know how to become independent and to work in your household as well.
- The first few months, you will be very busy settling in, go out and observe, communicate with everybody, your neighbors, reach out to friends and stay focus and be positive. Moving into another country is challenging enough and you need all the patience and guts you will have.
- If you have family I advice you to establish yourself here first and then little by little you can get your children if you want. At times it is good if you all go together as a family, it depends on your circumstances as well.