- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
High Demand Finance and Service Jobs in Montana
Great Neighbor of Canada
The State of Montana is located just south of Alberta and Saskatchewan Provinces, from where raw materials like oil tar sands originate and travel through the Montana region southward to Texas. This is accomplished by heavy truck freight; and oil pipelines that are more controversial.
From 2010 through 2017, additional pipelines were proposed and their construction begun, but building was interrupted several times by environmentalists, Native North Americans, and various other protest groups. Some oil pipelines have leaked and fouled water supplies, like the December 2016 leak near the Standing Rock Reservation.
Western Montana Historic Natural Places
Western Montana is covered by national forests, national parks, and the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, all important to travel and tourism, as well as oil and gas operations.
Employment and Industry Trends
The most highly in-demand new workers are found in a group of 20 different job titles that are most often advertised in Montana.
These job advertised most often are the fastest growing in the career fields of
- Social & Human Services,
- Accommodations, Travel and Tourism
- Insurance and Finance: Including the famous Blue Cross and Blue Shield, a top employer).
Major Market Products and Services
Manufacturing/Made In America: The Blackfeet Indian Nation is successful in manufacturing as well as a number of other industries in Montana, adding to the number of Made In America products available in the United States.
Big Data: IT database administrators, programmers, and engineers are needed in social and human service capacities, especially related to databases and data analysis that is used to justify new grants and continuing grant funding for various projects and the operation of important community based organizations (CBOs).
IT is also important to education and healthcare functions, and especially important to the insurance industry. Insurance companies need IT professionals in personnel and payroll, and several other departments, including those that deal with statistics related to life insurance, health insurance, major medical insurance, group insurance, rehabilitation programs and others.
Jobs Consistently in Highest Demand
- Albertsons and Safeway Stores: Groceries, home & beauty, other retail
- Town Pump, Inc. and Holiday Stationstores, Inc: Convenience and gas stores
- Casual Dining: Pizza Hut, McDonalds,
- Kalispell Regional Medical Center: All positions
- Shopko: Retail and healthcare products
- Montana State University: Faculty and staff positions
- Bozeman Deaconess Hospital: All positions
- State of Montana: Government jobs
- Blackfeet Reservation and Bison Preserve: Dozens of oil leases and many other businesses.
- Billings Montana Clinic: Healthcare
Top 10 Industry Growth Sectors to AD 2025
- Construction and Trades
- Accommodations and Food Service
- Retail Sales
- Professional and Technical Services
- Environmental: Administration and Waste, Recycling
- Arts, Entertainment, & Recreation
- Finance and Insurance
- Local Government
- Transportation: Commercial and Passenger
Largest Healthcare Employers
Barrett Hospital in Dillon
Benefis Healthcare in Great Falls
Blue Cross - Blue Shield of Montana
Bozeman Deaconess Hospital
Central Montana Medical Clinic in Livingston
Clark Fork Valley Hospital in Plains
Colstrip Medical Center
Community Medical Center in Missoula
Holy Rosary Healthcare in Miles City
Kalispell Regional Medical Center in Kalispell
Marcus Daly Hospital in Hamilton
Northern Montana Hospital in Havre
Highest Demand Occupations
- Registered Nurses: Median annual pay was $60,720 in 2015
- General and Operations Managers
- Accountants and Auditors, including Forensics
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Mainstream High School Teachers
- Substitute Teachers
- Business Operations Specialists
- Physical Therapists: Median annual pay $73,080 in 2015
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers
High Demand Jobs With Only Short-Term Training
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Automotive Service Technicians & Mechanics
- LPNs and LVNs
- Teaching Assistants
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- Computer User Support Specialists: Help Desk and Other
- Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
- Medical Assistants
Green Industries and Sustainable Businesses
Businesses, jobs, and careers developed through recycling and renewable or sustainable energy resources offer not only the new "green collar" jobs, but positions in IT, education, and other lines of endeavor. Green industry and alternative energy offer increasing numbers of jobs every year.
Many of Montana's largest employers specialize in the fields of Healthcare or Insurance.
Another 4 of the state's largest employers are Native American companies or agencies. The remaining 4 largest employers in Montana are a US Air Force Base, a major university, a large tourist resort, and a large mining company.
All of these companies together employ thousands of people each year and are expanding to offer additional jobs and opportunities for advancement.
Energy and Green Jobs
A government-sponsored energy initiative has been opening new types of job at Montana Rebuild for several years since 2005 under the George W. Bush administration.
An initiative of the U.S. Department of Energy to examine and develop renewable energy sources, Montana Rebuild is known as a State Energy Program or SEP.
The Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) joined public buildings, schools, local government facilities, and multi-family dwellings to target energy efficiency for better living, along with renewable energy sources for clean, affordable energy. DEQ partners with Montana Rebuild to enhance energy efficiency in Montana schools and government buildings.
Alternative energy projects providing clean energy and increasing numbers of jobs include the following types in the state of Montana:
- Blackfeet Indian Writing Company: Manufacturing, sales, and fundraising.
- Blackfeet Nation government: Government and tourism jobs.
- Blackfeet oil and gas operations, sustainable energy initiatives.
- Many other businesses on and off the reservation.
Additional Environmental Jobs
- Montana jobs related to the environment and green industries, including renewable energy, can be found by using an interactive map at: www.ejobs.org/states/
- Montana DEQ are listed at the following link:www.deq.mt.gov/
- Montana Green Power updates: www.montanagreenpower.com
Blackfeet Reservation and Bison Preserve
- Notice how large the Blackfeet Reservation is, covering all of the area in the darker beige shade east of Glacier National Park on the accompanying map. Pow Wows and other events draw patrons in the accommodations, retail, and related industries.
Blackfeet Accommodations and Tourism
- Blackfeet Country ~Browning Montana at Glacier National Park: Blackfeet Country borders Glacier National Park in Northwestern Montana. Attractions inside feature the Museum of the Plains Indian and the Blackfeet Heritage Center.
- The prime source of commercial income in the Blackfeet Indian Reservation is Oil and Natural Gas in leases on the oil fields across tribal lands. Blackfeet Nation has over 17,000 members.
Blackfeet Reservation and Bison Preserve
Located in Flathead Valley, this is vital to Kootenai Nation's creation stories, and tourism industry.
Sports Related Job Opportunities in Montana
College and High School
- Montana Grizzlies: Missoula
- Montana State Bobcats: Bozeman
- Billings Mustangs (A): Billings
- Bozeman IceDogs (AWHL): Bozeman
- Butte Copper Kings (A): Butte
- Great Falls Americans (AWHL): Great Falls
- Missoula Osprey (A): Missoula
Arenas and Stadiums
- Alumni Coliseum: Located in Butte, Montana
Higher Education in Montana
- Blackfeet Community College: Browning, Montana
- Carroll College: Helena
- Chief Dull Knife College: Lame Deer
- Dawson Community College: Glendive
- Flathead Valley Community College: Kalispell
- Fort Belknap College: Harlem
- Fort Peck Community College: Poplar
- Little Big Horn College: Crow Agency, Montana
- Miles Community College: Miles City
- Rocky Mountain College: Billings
- Salish Kootenai College: Pablo
- Stone Child Community College: Box Elder
- University of Great Falls: Great Falls.
- Great Falls (Technology).
University of Montana, HQ in Missoula, Montana:
- Montana Tech: Butte
- University of Montana Western: Dillon
- U of M College of Technology: Missoula
- U of M College of Technology: Helena
- Blackfeet Nation. www. blackfeetnation.com Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Indeed.com job listings June - August 2018.
- Montana Chamber of Commerce. https://www.montanachamber.com/ Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Montana WIA Offices/Workforce Innovation wsd.dli.mt.gov/wioa Retrieved August 14, 2018.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS