- Travel and Places»
- Travel Activities & Ideas
St Ives Beer Festival in Cornwall
The St Ives Beer Festival in Cornwall is held annually at the end of May/beginning of June by volunteers from CAMRA, bringing together the best of real ales, real ciders, great entertainment and fabulous food in a convivial atmosphere centred around sampling, savouring and celebrating the Best of British!
There are usually 60-70 real ales present at this indoor venue, as well as hot and cold food. For those of you who want a break from beer, the venue is right in the heart of St Ives, meaning the beaches, galleries and attractions of the town are also right on your doorstep.
Real Ales at St Ives Beer Festival
Over 70 real ales can be tasted and enjoyed during the annual St Ives Beer Festival - although if you do try them all you won't remember it....
Beer Festival Dates 2013
The Beer Festival is open from 11am to 11pm on:
- Friday 31 May 2013
- Saturday 1 June 2013
Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA)
The Campaign for Real Ale, known as CAMRA for short, is an independent consumer organisation dedicated to producing and promoting real ale, real cider and the traditional British pub.
CAMRA is probably the largest single-issue consumer group in the UK. Starting in 1971, in Ireland, the original four members were drinkers who wanted to make a stand against the march of mass-produced beers.
Early Influential Members:
Right from the start the beer drinking group gained popular support and have a sterling reputation across the country. Early influential members of the group include:
- Christopher Hutt, author of Death of the English Pub (1973)
- Frank Baillie, author of The Beer Drinker's Companion (1974), and later the current Good Beer Guide.
Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) Publications:
Venue, Dates, Hours, Ticket Prices
The Guildhall, Street an Pol, in St Ives is the venue for the St Ives Beer Festival. Outside of the Guildhall is one of St Ives' many Barbara Hepworth sculptures. The Hepworth sculpture garden is just ... yards from the Guildhall.
Beer Festival Dates
The Beer Festival is held in late May/early June. In 2013 it runs from Friday 31 May to Saturday 1 June.
CAMRA members can gain entry for £2.50 (cost of a glass). Non-members are £4, which gets you entry and your own glass.
St Ives Beer Festival Location
The Guildhall in St Ives is the location of the annual St Ives Beer Festival in Cornwall.
The entertainment for the Beer Festival varies, but the "old fathfuls" are also usually present. Running order and acts tend to confirm at the last minute, to give wriggle room.
Other Beer Festivals in St Ives, Cornwall
In addition to the ever-popular CAMRA Beer Festival, local venues have started putting on their own Beer Festivals.
- 2013 saw the first Cornish Craft Beer Festival, which was held on 2nd May and ran for 4days at The Hub bar on The Wharf. Craft Beers available included Bristol Beer Factory, Harbour, Kernel, Magic Rock, Mikkeller, St Austell, Summer Wine, Tiny Rebel and Wild Beer Co.
- 2013 saw the 17th Easter Beer Festival at The Castle Inn, St Ives, which had over 50 real ales and ciders from breweries all over the country being for sale, but limited to 8 beers and 4 dicers being served at any one time.