Take an Artist's Open Studio Tour
If you are looking for something different to do this weekend, check your local paper or the internet for a nearby Open Studios Tour.
Artists' organizations host these delightful events once or twice a year in many communities. It is a chance to see a variety of artists in their workplaces.
A Few Artists on the Grand Junction Open Studios Tour
See the work of Andre and Susan Delgalvis here.
- Cynthia Duff's Online Portfolio
Find out more about this well-known Grand Junction artist and see samples of her work.
- The Blue Pig Gallery
Exciting new fine art gallery in picturesque Palisade, Colorado
- 13 Photography Gallery & Shop, Grand Junction
Grand Junction area fine art photographers show their work here year-round.
- Dianna Fritzler Studio - Oil Painting and Mixed Media Art
Dianna Fritzler's oil paintings are featured at The Gallery on 30 Road in Grand Junction.
- MaggieCook.com - Artist - Pastel Landscapes of the West
Maggie Cook's beautiful pastels and her husband David's elegant oils were on display in their studio as part of this year's tour.
- Diana Woods - Fine Contemporary Art
Diana Woods' Oil paintings were also shown at The Gallery.
- Steve Kentz - Artist, Art - Steve Kentz
Steve Kentz's stone sculpture studio was open in Palisade.
What You Might See
When I took the Arroyo Arts Collective Tour in the Northeast section of Los Angeles several years ago, I saw
- magnificent, huge photographic portraits hung in the garage of an art professor
- the press of a printer who was working on a limited hand-set edition of the Book of Revelations. Her unique studio, an ex-garage, was constructed from native arroyo stone.
More recently, I took the Art Space spring Open Studio Tour in Grand Junction, Colorado. While exploring fascinating hidden neighborhoods in my town, I discovered
- Andre Degalvis, a Latvian photographer whose work in digital infrared is destined to be world-famous--soon
- his wife Susan, who paints dynamic, rich, oils on canvas
- Yvette Villanueva Campbell, whose sun-drenched pastels on toned paper are certain to be featured in Southwest Art
- Cynthia Duff, whose graceful stylized cranes and subtle, indescribable works on curved birch are already in great demand nationwide,
- Kathy Drogos and Linda Schooley, charismatic friends who offer a bit of everything
- Rocky Ireland, a genuine Irish poet on loan to Grand Junction from rainy Seattle
- Chuck Morris, an accomplished and successful painter in oils
- David and Maggie Cook, a gifted couple who go out on regular plein air jaunts in the countryside around Grand Junction
- Steve Kentz, a talented sculptor in stone who exhibits in Redstone
- The Gallery and The Blue Pig Gallery, two recent additions to the Grand Valley art scene.
Just Look Around, or Make a Killing
Artists are usually willing to sell their works at these events, but there is no pressure to buy. You are welcome to look around, meet fellow collectors, and learn about how art is made.
Many studios offer inexpensive prints or small studies if you want a remembrance, but cannot afford a large piece.
Sometimes, you will discover an artist who is destined to make it big soon, and you can purchase works that will escalate rapidly in value.
If you are planning to travel to an area and would like to see artists' studios, check the internet for announcements. Some cities, like Flagstaff, Arizona, have well-established annual tours. Others are just starting.
Tips for Planning Your Day
Most tours include more studio spaces than you can possibly see. Select venues by attending the opening reception, viewing sample works, and meeting artists.
Many artists also have websites. Scanning the web before you set out on your adventure can insure that you will see works that match your taste.
If you only have a little time, choose venues where several artists are sharing a single space, or neighborhoods where several studios are close together.
Plan Your Next Vacation Around a Studio Tour
- Art Space Open Studios Tour
Spring and fall studio tours highlight the growing community of artists in and around Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Corrales Art Studio Tour
Headed for New Mexico? More than 50 wonderful artists participate in this tour each spring. Check out the elegant website for a preview, or to make plans for next year.
- Kirkland Artist Studio Tour - Kirkland, Washington
This one includes 57 artists and takes place each Mother's Day. Visit the the website for details.
- Laguna Beach Art Studio Tours
Laguna Beach, California is famous for its art colony. Many of the resident artists open their doors for this annual spring tour. It is not free. Check the website for details.
- Arroyo Arts Collective Artists Open Studio Events
This unusual tour takes place every fall in northeast Los Angeles. The neighborhood was one of the first suburbs of L.A. and contains many architecturally interesting buildings. The Loomis home, for example, is built from river stone.
- Boulder, Colorado Autumn Studio Tour
Reserve two weekends in October to take this huge studio in scenic Boulder, Colorado. Enjoy the high country's amazing autumn weather in the week between.
- Saugerties Artists Studio Tour
Watch for the autumn tour in this charming town, home to the famed "Woodstock" festival of the 60s.
- TOAST - TRIBECA OPEN ARTIST STUDIO TOUR
Several New York neighborhoods have studio tours. Add this one to your visit to the Big Apple.
- Annual Gowanus Artists Studio Tour, Brooklyn, New York
28 Artists will participate in this tour in October. Check the site for a downloadable tour map and more information.
- Arvada Art Studio Tour
About 20 artists working in a variety of styles welcome you to their studios in this Colorado town.
- Vashon Island Art Studio Tour ~ Spring 2008
Take the ferry to an island in Puget Sound to see the work of 20 exciting Northwest coast artists in their studios. This intriguing event is held each spring.
- Southeastern Delaware Artists Studio Tour
Going into its 14th year, this event includes more than 15 talented artists.
- East Austin Studio Tour
You won't be able to see all of the studios in this one. More than a 100 artists participate. It might be worth a trip to this developing art center just for the tour, but there is much to see in the town, too.
- SALT SPRING STUDIO TOUR Home
This British Columbian tour lasts for the entire month of July, and many of the 34 venues are open year-round. Complete information is available on the site.
- Hartford CT - Open Studio Weekend - Artists in Real Time
This autumn art tour has it all--even music! Download a brochure and start making your plans.
- Portland Open Studios
More than 90 artists participate in this annual tour. If you can't make it, check out the blog to find out about the artists.
Take Studio Tours Online
If you can't afford a trip right now, visit YouTube or Etsy to find fascinating online studio tours. Here's an example.