- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Asia»
- Southern Asia
Temples of Khandra, West Bengal
*It is a small village About 12 km from Durgapur; 5 km from Andal mor at NH-2 in the district of Bardhaman, West Bengal.
* The village has 2 landowner families : Sarkar (living here for last 500 yrs); & Bakshi (who are here for 250 yrs).
* The Sarkar family is divided into two lines : Baro taraf & Chhoto taraf, both of which indulged in building temples in the village, mainly temples dedicated to Goddess Durga & Lord Krishna with His divine consort Radha.
* During my trip there on 19 May 2011, three members of the Bakshi family Gautam, Sukhendu (Tinu), Malay Kanti (Bhramar) helped me immensely.
* Temples of Khandra :-
1. Radha Madhab temple : Sarkar baro taraf’s; East facing; Established by Jugal Kishiore Sarkar in 1643 Shakabda (1721 AD).
This Pancha Ratna or 5 pinnacled (Vishnupur style) Laterite built temple with triple entrance has moderate Stucco work.
The temple complex consists of : The Main temple, Rashmancha (Pancha Ratna, plastered, with compound pier (Kalaaghechhe thaam in Bengali), Naat Mandir, Bhog Mandir ( with some old stone figures) , & a most unusual structure on the backside of the main temple made of laterite. It does look like a temple, but may be a separate structure altogether.
2. Lakshmi Narayan temple: Belonging to Sarkar Chhoto taraf’s, this Brick-built Pancha Ratna (5 Pinnacled) with ridged turret south facing temple has triple entrance;
established by Pratap Chandra Sarkar in 1308 Bangabda (1902 AD); Thisbeautiful templewith extensive stucco work contains a rare Lakshmi-Narayan shila ( a sacred stone which is regarded as a symbol of Lord Vishnu) The temple was recently renovated.
3. Gopal temple : A small Laterite built 18th century Dalan (flat-roofed) type temple with triple entrance, this temple houses idols of Radha Krisna (made of Astadhatu or an alloy of 8 metals) (original Gold idol was stolen in 1955).
4. Shiva temple near Gopal temple : It is a small , laterite built, Chaar-chaala (4 roofed) type temple.
5. Neelkantha Shiva : 2 km from Khandra; said to be very old; original temple demolished & a new temple is under construction. Big stone Lingam.