- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America
Staying at The Banff Springs Hotel
Banff Springs Hotel
The Fairmont Banff Springs is a luxurious five-star hotel situated in the Canadian Rocky Mountains near world class natural hot springs. The hotel is open year round and has 770 rooms for guests to enjoy. Guest can stay in rooms as small as 184sq ft to ones as large as the Presidential Suit that is 1000sq ft. The hotel caters to many different events including world summits, golf tournaments, conferences and weddings.
The Banff Springs Hotel opened June 1, 1888 and was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway to accommodate passengers traveling from the West coast of British Columbia to the rest of Canada.
Originally built out of wood, the hotel burnt down in an unfortunate fire. It was subsequently rebuilt in 1926, this time out of a more fireproof stone. Designed by Bruce Price, the hotel was built to resemble a Baronial Scottish Castle. In more recent years, additions have been built to help accommodate the growth of tourism to the area.
- In 1884, George Stephens, president of the Canadian Pacific Railroad, named the area after his hometown of Banffshire, Scotland.
- Avoid Banff during the high season.
- Tourism is a huge economy for Banff and they take full advantage of it. It can become overcrowded at times and in my opinion, just takes away from the serenity of the area.
- There is allot of wildlife in the woods, so be prepared to see deer, elk, black bears and mountain goats along the many hiking paths.
- Avoid the economic rooms. If you are going to stay at the Banff you have to be prepared to pay alot.
- The weather is unpredictable so have a backup plan if the golf course is closed.
More Canada Travel Guides
- Top-Ten Places to Visit in Alberta
Perhaps one of the most overlooked places in Canada is Alberta. While most international visitors who come to visit Eastern Canada and the West coasts of B.C. Alberta has remained a quiet province.
- Top-Ten Places to Visit in Canada
Canada is a great, here is what I believe are the top-ten best places to visit.
- Travelling By Train in Canada
The train lines offer scenic trips across Canada.