- Travel and Places
The Best Time to Buy a Summer Mediterranean Cruise: Mediterranean Cruise Tips
The Mediterranean is one of the most popular European travel destinations - and no wonder why, the region includes exotic port cities such as Venice, Barcelona, and Cannes that are filled with beauty, rich history, unique culture. A Mediterranean Cruise is a fabulous way to explore multiple European cities in one unforgettable trip. Are you thinking about taking a cruise to this spectacular region in Europe? Great! I'll be happy to answer some questions you may have and provide you with some important advice to make the best of your trip and perhaps even save some money.
Mediterranean countries include those countries that border the Mediterranean Sea and includes countries in three continents - Europe, Asia and Africa.
- Mediterranean countries in Europe include: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Slovenia, Spain, and Turkey
- Mediterranean countries in Asia include: Israel, Lebanon, and Syria
- Mediterranean countries in Africa include: Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia
Tips on when to book your summer Mediterranean voyage
Are you thinking of embarking on your Mediterranean cruise this summer? If you answered yes, then there are some important things you should know before booking your trip.
- Summertime is peak season for cruises. Peak season lasts from May through August. What does that mean for you? Well it has a couple of impacts - both good and bad.
- Since summer is peak season, you will need to book your cruise as early as possible in order to get the itinerary, cruise and cabin that you want.
- Cabins with balconies and larger suites sell out faster than interior cabins so if you want to stay in these popular cabins, you'll need to book as early as possible. And you'll want a balcony room because they offer scenic views of charming cities.
- Cruise ships often offer special rates and packages for different dates so when you're checking rates, if you're flexible with your dates, check rates for various dates on the same ship and the same route - you may find some money saving rates!
- Since summertime is the most popular time for traveling to the Mediterranean, you can expect to see lots of tourists and wait on lines.
- August is officially vacation month for Europeans so you will come across a lot of vacationing Europeans.
Cruise lines sailing in the Mediterranean
Cruise lines that sail the Mediterranean include:
Test your knowledge about the Mediterranean with this quiz!view quiz statistics
Mediterranean Cruise Tips
Below you will find some general useful tips about Mediterranean cruises:
- The route and cities you will stop at will depend on the cruise line you choose, as well as the length of time you will go on your cruise
- The cruise ship industry splits the Mediterranean into two areas - east and west. West generally refers to countries like Italy, France, and Spain. Whereas east refers to countries such as Greece and Turkey
- Big ships usually make stops at the major ports and smaller ships stop at smaller ports
- Remember to make flight arrangements to the port city where your cruise will embark - that's typically in Barcelona, Spain, or Venice, Italy
- Most cruises are 10 days long or longer. Shorter cruises are available but the itinerary is cram packed
- Consider getting travel insurance
- If you are an American, remember that you will need a passport to travel within the Mediterranean
Summer in the Mediterranean is the perfect time to visit this exquisite area. The reasons for this are:
- The widest selection of cruises are available
- The best itineraries are available
- The weather is best during this time - you can expect 11 hours of sunshine and warm or sweltering hot temperatures
- There is no official "hurricane season" in the Mediterranean
- The wettest months in the Mediterranean are between October and March