The City Mission, Cleveland, Ohio
The City Mission of Cleveland is now celebrating the completion of 100 years of service to the community, and the launching of its second century. The City Mission’s humble beginning lay in an abandoned Superior Avenue saloon in 1910. There, building on donations offered by citizens, the reformed alcoholic Mel Trotter established what was to become his 67th rescue mission for the addicted and downtrodden.
With the ongoing support of the leading civic, church and business figures of Cleveland, The City Mission has continually grown and expanded its services. The Mission’s programs today include homeless shelter, emergency shelter for women and children, a prison ministry, dependency counseling, teen programs, and recovery and skills training services. Over the years, The Mission also acquired a 260-camp central to many of its rehabilitation programs.
In the early 1990s, The City Mission established its current base of operations at the intersection of East 55th Street and Carnegie Avenue on the city’s near east side. Through the acquisition and renovation of structures, supplemented by new construction of additional facilities, The City Mission was able to establish a beachhead from which its growing influence and service to area residents may spread. The Mission continues to expand its facilities and develop new social support services and programs.