- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States»
Things to Do in Beautiful Seaside, Florida
Welcome to Seaside!
Seaside is a special place – a “simple beautiful life” -- in some ways the center of high-class life on 30A in South Walton county on the lovely Emerald Coast. Seaside is full of beautiful homes, beautiful people, and beautiful seascapes. It’s not somewhere you will ever forget. Treat yourself to a little paradise on Earth. Come to Seaside and witness the unique experience it offers.
In 1984, two visionary urban planners called for a return to historical patterns of development. The Battery Park City plan made use of a traditional layout to a big, high-density allowance in Manhattan. On a smaller scale, the plan for Seaside (by Andrés Duany, FAIA, and Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk) imagined a second-home community with 350 dwellings on 80-acre allotment beachfront property.
The master plan for Seaside's was meant to conjure up the atmosphere of an old Southern town. A network of walkable lanes with footpaths to service outer buildings as rental cottages was called for. The design team made sure that highly detailed guidelines directed every single building. For instance, all houses are required to have front porches and picket fences. The highly determined architectural features and complex design review insured that Seaside would be a highly wrought gem on prime property on the Gulf Coast.
Today, Seaside is an unincorporated community between Destin and Panama City Beach. As one of the first cities in the US designed on “New Urbanism” architectural values, Seaside has been the subject of lectures in architecture schools and in industry magazines and is visited by professionals in design on a regular basis. As the chief filming site of the movie The Truman Show, the town became a part of popular culture. In 2012, the American Institute of Architects (Florida Chapter) put Seaside on a list of major Florida Urban architecture.
Things to do, places to go, and people to see!
At Seaside, the activity never stops. As one of the popular upscale attractions in the 30a area, there is always something going on: popular music, classical music, plays, theatre, shopping, paddle boarding, events, sporting events, visiting celebrities, etc.
Some favorite spots and activities to check out are…
Sundog Books: A family owned, independent bookstore located in the heart of Seaside, Florida. Turning 30 this year!
Austin Magee's Surf School: A great place for kids to learn about good surf conditions and learn to surf safely. Catch a wave!
Beach Ready Spa: Treat yourself to luxurious treatment scenic Seaside, Florida at the heart of Highway 30-A. Experienced therapists will indulge you with the finest products.
SandCastle Lessons on 30A: Have a great time on 30 by taking Sand Castle Lessons with Beach Sand Sculptures. You will discover professional sand sculpting tips and techniques. Have fun in the sand! Acquire a new skill! Make a unique vacation memory!
Modus Art Gallery: Modus 30A Art Studio is located in Grayton Beach on 30A. Mo-dus is a translation for "The mode or expression." Look into their perfectly curated collection.
30A Bike Trail: This bike trail, running the entire 19-mile stretch of 30A is a beautiful path great for walking, running and biking. Biking is a fantastic way to get around this area, faster than the traffic-congested roads! This trail is safe & fun. There are nice paved sidewalks everywhere, and bike riders of all ages find this a great way to enjoy this beautiful 30A!
Seaside Beach: This spot is a gem. Visitors are always very impressed with outstanding white sand and emerald waters. The beach is very clean and family friendly, and the nearby village itself has great food options and interesting shopping. Spend a whole day here!
ALSO, be sure to check out Stories By The Sea, the Seaside Summer Concert Series, the Magic Academy, Central Square Cinema, Seaside Farmers Market, and the Children’s Theater Performance.
Hungry? We suggest the following eateries:
- Christiano’s – Located conveniently on Highway-98, just past 30-A, the atmosphere is sincere and pleasing, the staff is polite, well-organized, and welcoming, the music is an "old school" Italian that warms your soul, and the food is splendid!
- David’s New Orleans Style Sno-Balls – Try this place, one of those little hole-in-the-wall places you always hear about. You won’t be disappointed. No one else in Walton county – maybe in the state of Florida! – makes beignets so delicious. Don't even bother to look.
- Chanticleer Eatery – Word around here is that food and service are excellent. Price was great for the quality. Everyone leaves happy with their dining experience and look forward to coming back.
- Barefoot BBQ – This crew describe themselves as “the best darned organic Caribbean/Texan/Southern fusion BBQ this side of the Mississippi! Yeehaw!” You best believe it!
- Fish Out of Water at The WaterColor Inn & Resort is an award-winning fine dining restaurant, a fine dining restaurant that features a stylish scene with a view of emerald Gulf waters of the Gulf of Mexico, dazzling cuisine and distinguished wines.
Seaside beach view with clear water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2y0gyxV0kE