- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Asia»
- Southern Asia
Top Places of Tourist Interest in Ernakulam, India
Top Interesting Places in Ernakulam
Ernakulam in Kerala, India is bordering Arabian Sea.There are several tourist interesting places in Ernakulam. The word Ernakulam was drawn from a Tamil word "Erayanarkulam" means abode of Lord Shiva's. From time immemorial Arabs, Chinese, Dutch, British and Portuguese seafarers followed the sea route to Kochi and left their impressions in the town. The Chinese fishing nets, believed to be erected in 1350 AD, swaying in the breeze over backwaters, the Jewish Synagogue, Dutch Palace, Portuguese Architecture, Bolghatty Palace etc. enrich the heritage of Kerala. Some of the most interesting places in and around Ernakulam within a distance of 50 kms are mentioned here.
Cherai - 25 kms away from Ernakulam.
Santha Cruz Basilica in Fort Kochi
Mount Carmel Church, Varapuzha
St. Francis Church, Fort Kochi
St. George Forane Church, Edapally
Malayattoor Church - 47 kms from Ernakulam
Indo-Portughese Museum, Fort Kochi
Hill Palace Museum, Thripunithura
Museum of Kerala History
Park - Subhash Bose Park in Ernakulam
Dutch Palace - 3 kms from Ernakulam by boat.
Bolghatty Palace - Today it is K.T.D.C hotel
Cochin city tour
Backwater village tour
Jewish Synagogue, Mattancherry
Jewish Synagogue, Chendamangalam - 42 kms from Kochi
Kanjiravattom Mosque - 30 kms from Kochi
Temples at Ernakulam
Chottanikkara Temple - where Mother Goddess is worshipped in three forms - Saraswathy in morning, Bhadrakali in the afternoon and Durga in the evening. - 13 kms from Cochin.
Vamanamoorthy Temple at Thrikkakara - 10th-13th century temple - 8 kms from Kochi
Sri Poornathreyasa Temple - dedicated to Lord Maha Vishnu - earlier belonged to Cochin royalty,
Shiva Temple - One of the ancient temples of Kerala.
Other Interesting Spots in Ernakulam
- Marine Drive at Ernakulam
- Willingdon Island - A manmade island named after Lord Willingdon a former British Viceroy to india.
- Art Complex at Edappally - 10 kms from Cochin
- Vypin Light House
- Pallippuram Fort
- Kerala Lalitha Kala Academy Art Centre
- Kalli Kotta, Thripunithura
- Chinese Fishing nets
- Kalady - Birth place of Sri Adi Shankaracharya, the great Indian philospher lived in the 8th century. - 45 kms from Cochin
- Kodanad - One of the largest elephant capturing places of South India till 1977. - 45 kms away from Cochin city
- Kottayil Kovilakam at Chendamangalam - which was the seat of Kshatriya chieftains of Villarvattom is 42 kms. away
- Dutch Cemetry
- Life and Teachings of Sri Adi Shankaracharya
Sage Sri Sankaracharya, the great Indian Philosopher and social reformer who lived in the 8th century, was born in a tiny village Kalady in Ernakulam District of Kerala, India, on the banks of famous River...
- Popular Kerala destinations
Are you looking for Kerala destinations? Here are the popular ones....
- How to make Kerala Mutton Stew
For Christmas, in many Kerala homes, Mutton Stew is prepared, especially for the breakfast. Kerala Mutton Stew is a delicious dish. It goes very well with Appam, a traditional Kerala breakfast, which is...
- Top Five Places to Visit in Hyderabad, India
Hyderabad, the capital city of Andhra Pradesh, India, is a great tourist destination. Hyderabad is filled with historic monuments like Charminar, Qutub Shahi Tombs and many other monuments. Apart from these,...
- How to Make Kerala Chicken Stew
Kerala Chicken Stew is one of the main items for Christmas in God's Own country. It is very delicious and easy to prepare too. For breakfast, chicken stew is a great combination with appam, bread, paratha,...
- How to make Indian Fish Cutlet
Indian fish cutlets are very tasty and easy to prepare. These cutlets can be served as appetizer, snack or side dish. It is good to eat with plain rice or with biriyani as a side dish. It can also be...