- Travel and Places
Paris is the world's most gorgeous city. The chic Marais and St. Germain, the romantic stairway streets of Montmartre, the imperial grandeur that sweeps west from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower--all shine as brightly as ever. But the magic is spreading, especially to the north and east of the Bastille. The bohemian classes are infusing new vibrancy into old working-class quarters, turning a disused train station into a club, a hardware store into a bar, a railroad into a garden walkway, old workshops into atmospheric restaurants.
Whether you're strolling along the Seine or soaking up city life from a sidewalk café, you'll see why Paris is synonymous with the word style. Of course, you can't miss the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Versailles and the Louvre. But be sure to spend a quiet moment in the Jardin de Tuileries and savor an éclair from a patisserie or a glass of Beaujolais in a romantic bistro. From culinary delights to cultural sights, haute couture to heady romance, Paris will tempt every one of your senses.
Some Famous Paris Landmarks include:
1. Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel) was completed in 1889, this colossal landmark, although initially hated by many Parisians, is now a famous symbol of French civic pride.
2. Musee du Louvre - Home to Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, the Louvre is considered the world's greatest art museum, with an unparalleled collection of items covering the full spectrum of art through the ages.
3. Musee d'Orsay This beautiful museum, once a railroad station, now houses a staggering collection of Impressionist art, as well as other items created from 1848-1914.
4. Notre Dame Cathedral (Cathedrale de Notre Dame de Paris) This famous cathedral, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture on which construction began in the 12th century, stands on the Île de la Cité and is the symbolic heart of the city.
5. Luxembourg Gardens (Jardin du Luxembourg)
These formal gardens, open to only royalty before the French Revolution, now serve as one of Paris's most popular destinations for relaxation.
Discover (or rediscover) Your Own Paris. Start here.