Visiting Niagara Falls in New York and Ontario
Niagara Falls are some of the most famous waterfalls in the world. Over 20 million people a year visit the falls. Niagara Falls is actually not one waterfall, but three separate falls. They are Horseshoe Falls, called that because of its horseshoe shape, American Falls, and Bridal Veil Falls, the smallest.
Niagara Falls stand about 165 feet, or 50 meters, high. Niagara Falls are not the the highest in the world, but combined they have the distinction of having the largest flow rate of any falls on the planet. The waters of Angel Falls in Venezuela crash 3,212 feet to the bottom making them the tallest in the world. The highest falls in the U.S. are located in Yosemite National Park and are about 2,425 feet tall. Although
Where are the Niagara Falls?
The falls at Niagara are located between the cities of Niagara, NY and Niagara, Ontario. The falls are about twenty minutes from Buffalo, NY, 1.5 hours from Toronto, and about 7 hours(400 miles) from New York City.
Things to Do Around Niagara Falls
- Hike around Niagara Falls State Park on the New York side of the falls.
- Take a walk behind the Bridal Veil Falls on the Cave of the Winds Tour
- Take a boat ride and get up close to the falls.
- Visit the Aquarium of Niagara.
- Try your luck at one of the local casinos.
- Go over the falls in a barrel. OK, don't really do this one! It's a little dangerous, and illegal. The last person to intentionally go over the falls and survive was fined $2,300 and barred from ever entering Canada.
- Visit the nearby African Lion Safari in Cambridge, Ontario
- Enjoy a meal with a view at the 775 ft. tall revolving restaurant in Skylon Tower in Niagara, Ontario.
- View the illuminated falls at night from the Canadian side.
Where to Stay
There are well over a hundred hotels near Niagara Falls. Any type of lodging can be found, whether you're traveling as a family or going away for a romantic honeymoon.
Crossing the Border
You'll need a passport to cross the border. U.S. citizens can use either a regular passport or a cheaper passport card to enter Canada.
NOTE: Canada has some entry rules that the US does not. For instance, travelers who have had a DUI an the US may be inadmissible.