ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

What are the main travel immunisations?

Updated on November 12, 2008

If you're planning to travel, you may need to think about your travel immunisations.

Some injections should be given a few weeks before you travel, so try to plan well in advance. Check with your GP, local health clinic or travel clinic to get up-to-date information on the immunisations you'll need. If you decide to go away at short notice it's still worth having your immunisations - any protection is better than none!

Listed below are the most common travel immunisations, but there are others which you may be advised to have particularly if you'll be travelling rough and staying in rural areas. You should also check with your doctor whether you'll need immunisations against any of the following:

  • meningitis
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • tick-borne encephalitis
  • rabies

Hepatitis A and typhoid fever

Both diseases are spread by eating or drinking contaminated food or water

immunisations are recommended if you're travelling to countries with poor sanitation or hygiene.

Two vaccines are available which protect against hepatitis A:

Immunoglobulin and hepatitis A vaccine. Immunoglobulin provides only short-term protection. Your GP or travel vaccine clinic will be able to advise which is appropriate for you. Typhoid immunisation lasts for three years.


  • Causes diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps
  • prevented by taking basic hygiene precautions
  • a vaccine is available but it isn't very effective, so not recommended for most travellers.

Although immunisation gives excellent protection, it's still important to take the following basic precautions when travelling:

  • be careful about what you eat and drink
  • wash your hands thoroughly before handling food and after going to the toilet.

Hepatitis B

immunisation may be recommended if you're travelling, or working, for long periods of time in developing countries where you may need medical/dental treatment

Whenever possible, avoid having medical/dental treatment in developing countries. If you're travelling for any length of time, carry your own medical kit containing sterile needles in case you need urgent treatment.

Yellow fever

  • a serious infection found mainly in Central Africa and Central/South America
  • spread by mosquitoes
  • official certificate required by some countries as proof that you've been immunised before you'll be allowed to enter the country
  • vaccine also recommended, though not officially required, for some other countries
  • yellow fever immunisation gives protection for up to ten years.


  • commonly known as TB
  • on the increase in parts of Asia, Africa and South America
  • you'll probably have had a BCG immunisation at school - if you're in any doubt check with your doctor.


  • one of the most serious health problems in tropical areas
  • kill over one million people a year worldwide
  • as yet there is no immunisation for malaria
  • if you're travelling to, or even stopping off in, a hi-risk area you'll need to take anti-malaria tablets
  • different types of drugs are available- see your doctor or travel clinic for advice.

Anti-malarial drugs are very important but they don't give 100% protection. The best way to avoid getting the disease is to avoid getting bitten - easier said than done! These simple tips should help:

  • use mosquito repellent
  • sleep under a mosquito net
  • cover up your arms and legs in the evening and at night.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • profile image


      9 years ago

      Would you need to have an immunisation to travel to England?


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)