What can you get for ten dollars in Cebu?
I've had visitors from the US and they were very surprised how cheap everything is in Cebu. In this article, I will list down a couple of things.
First thing's first, let's peg US$1 to PHP50 for simplicity.
Food is relatively inexpensive in Cebu. There is an abundance of Western fast-food chains as well as local brands that serve international fare.
Some of the things you can expect from US brands:
- Big Mac Value Meal (with large fries and large soda): US$4.34 (PHP217)
- KFC 2pc chicken (with rice and regular soda): US$3.40 (PHP170)
- Burger King Whopper Meal (with regular fries and regular soda): US$3.40 (PHP170)
- TGIF Chicken Fingers: US$9.00 (PHP450)
- TGIF Caesar Salad (Lunch): US$7.50 (PHP350)
- Starbucks Espresso (solo): US$2.00 (PHP100)
- Starbucks Caffe Latte (venti): US$3.00 (PHP150)
Some of the things I would recommend:
- Casa Verde's Brian's Ribs: US$5.36 (PHP268)
- Golden Cowrie's Crispy Pata (pork leg): starts at US$7.90 (PHP395)
- Zubuchon's Lechon (roast pig): starts at US$7.00 (PHP350)
At the supermarket:
- Lettuce: US$7.00/kg (PHP350)
- Ripe Mangoes: US$3.00/kg (PHP150)
- Loaf of white bread: US$1.50 (PHP75)
- A can of San Miguel beer: US$1.00 (PHP50)
- A six pack of Coke: US$2.70 (PHP135)
- Pringle's Potato Chips: US$3.00/kg (PHP150)
If you are the adventurous type when it comes to food, street food is very cheap. You can get a stick of pork barbecue for 20 cents!
Services and Entertainment
Services and entertainment are inexpensive as well.
To maximize value, I would suggest that you avail of services inside malls where you do not need to haggle nor pay more because you are a foreigner.
- Haircut: starts at US$5.00 (PHP250)
- Manicure: starts at US$5.00 (PHP250)
- Massage: starts at US$5.00/hour (PHP250)
- Movie tickets: typically at US$5.00 (PHP250)
- Beer at a bar: starts at US$1.50 (PHP75)
- Bowling: US$2.30/game plus US$1.00 for shoe rental (PHP115 + PHP50 )
- Ice Skating: US$9.00 unlimited time (PHP450)
If you are the souvenir collector, there are a number of things you can buy for under $10.
- Souvenir shirt: starts at $3.00 (P150) although some shops have sales and shirts can go for as low $2.00 (P100)
- Souvenir caps: starts at $6.60 (P330)
- Refrigerator Magnets: starts at $2.60 (P130)
- Dried Mangoes: starts at $2.00 per 100g(3.5 oz) pack (P100)
- Chocolate Coated Dried Mangoes: starts at $2.00 per 65g(2.3 oz) pack (P100)
- Souvenir Keyrings: starts at $1.50 (P75) although some shops have sales and can go for as low $1.00 (P50)
There are lots more that you can buy below $10.
Your $10 can go a long way in Cebu City. Food, groceries, services, and souvenirs are really affordable.