- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Europe
Spain's Top Attraction - Alhambra Palace
The Alhambra of Granada
Less than an hours drive from Costa Tropical in Andalusia you will find Alhambra Palace and Generalife Gardens in the city of Granada in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.This is Spain's number one attraction, and actually one of the worlds most popular attractions.
The Alhambra Palace and its beautiful Gardens is a UNESCO World heritage site. Furthermore it is one of the finest examples of Moorish architecture in Spain.
With the snow-capped Sierra Nevada Mountains in the back the Alhambra Palace is an exquisite vision of gorgeous buildings decorated with mosaics and separated by peaceful water arrangement and walkways.
This is a must if you ever set foot on Spanish soil!
Find Your Way to Alhambra of Granada
Alhambra Royal Palace
Alhambra Royal Palace
Alhambra's interior is a plethora of decoration. Ceilings, walls and floors are decorated with sophisticated geometric patterns - skillfully executed in marble, glazed tiles and alabaster.
Three sections make up the the Royal Palace.
- The first part is the Mexuar where business, government and the palace administration took place. This section includes the Oratory and the Golden Room.
- The second section is called the Serrallo. This is where the sultans held court and entertained their ambassadors. The Court of the Myrtles is placed in the heart of the Serrallo. It is said that the tiles used here are some of the finest in the Alhambra. The Serrallo is furthermore home to the Hall of the Ambassadors, which has a spectacular carved throne and a domed cedar-wood ceiling.
- The third and last section of the Palace is the Harem. In previous time the harem was entered only by the sultan, his wives and concubines, young children and eunuchs. At the heart of the harem lies the famous courtyard “Court of the Lions”. It is named after the 12 lions, thought to represent the months or signs of the zodiac, which support the fountain at the center.
More About Alhambra Royal Palace
- The Harem
The Harem of Alhambra springs out of the Lions' Court, and consists of a nice selection of rooms and one bath. To the south of the court is the Hall of the Abencerrajes with the most fantastic ceiling in the entire Alhambra.
- The Mexuar
The Mexuar was the parts of the Royal Palace where the sultans conducted the everyday administration and business.
- The Serrallo
It consists of a selection of very attractive rooms and courtyards. The most appealing is the Patio of Myrtles (Patio de los Arrayanes), with its pool flanked by myrtle bushes.
The original fortress of Alhambra is known as the Alcazaba. From the watchtower you have a stunning panoramic view of the city of Granada. Another view is the Royal Baths where the female beauties from the Sultans harem relaxed by the pools.
Alhambra Generalife Gardens
How can you describe something that is beyond words? The video from the Generalife Gardens below, by Eduardo Paniagua, is called "Cancion del Agua" in Spanish - meaning "Water Lyrics", and that is probably the closest I can think of...using words.
The Generalife Gardens is more a state of mind. It's a fusion of water sounds, floral scents, beautiful visions and inner balance, and I guess that is why the Gardens are said to have been inspired by the Koranic description of Paradise.
The Best Way To Visit Alhambra
The best way to visit depends on where you are staying and how you would like to experience "The Red Castle of Granada".
If you are driving yourself scroll up to the Google map at the top, and get directions.
If you would rather book a guided tour in English from either the city of Granada or from the coast - please follow the links below.
If you book from Granada you can explore the Alhambra at your own pace with an excellent GPS Audio Guide.
Whatever way you choose to experience the “eighth wonder of the world”: Book in advance! There is only a limited amount of tickets per day.
- Alhambra Palace - Torrox Tours
You will be picked up in a deluxe air-conditioned motor coach from either Nerja or Torrox. Besides from exploring Alhambra Palace you will have time for a Granada Sightseeing Tour.
- Alhambra Palace Tour from Granada
Granada, in the east of Andalucia, is a city steeped in Moorish tradition. The Alhambra Palace which was recently short listed as a Seventh Wonder of the new world, is truly wondrous but there is so much more to see and do.