BWI AIRPORT: Parking and Hotels near BWI Airport, Baltimore
The Baltimore/Washington Thurgood Marshal (BWI) Airport was commissioned on June 24th, 1950 and stands on over 3000 acres of land in the Anne Arundel County area.
Originally called the Friendship International Airport, it was renamed in 1972 after the State of Maryland acquired it from the City of Baltimore for $32 million.
BWI Airport Parking
The airport has over 26,000 parking slots which cater for short-term as well long-term parking needs. There are various kinds of parking arrangements that meet individual requirements such as daily, hourly, express and long term parking options.
BWI Airport parking options are charged differently, with prices ranging from $8 per day for long term parking to $22 per day for hourly parking. These parking options offer different advantages depending on your needs and have the following features:
Airport parking facts
- Jennifer Fitzgerald from Chicago accumulated a fee of over $105,000 for abandoning her car at Chicago’s O’Hare airport parking for over a year
- The easiest way of getting around Washington DC is by the Metro
- BWI airport is in the top 30 busiest airports in the world
- Car parking spaces close to airports as investments have a high rate of return and can reach up to 10% per annum
Hourly parking option
The hourly garage is convenient for travellers on a short stay or for those who want to enjoy the advantages of a covered parking. It is also located closest to the terminal with ease of entrance and exiting the I-195.
The charges are tiered depending on how long you stay at the parking -- the first half hour ($2), second half hour ($2) and the second to sixth hour ($4). There is assisted parking using “Smart-park” technology that directs you to the nearest available parking stop.
Daily parking option
The daily parking garage has over 8,000 parking spaces of which more than 7,000 are covered. Located on Terminal Road, the daily garage also has the “Smart park” technology that helps you find appropriate parking in the shortest possible time.
You can conveniently pay before returning to your vehicle using the “pay and go” facility that is located at the bridge between the garage and terminal. The daily parking rates start at $3 per hour for the first and second hour, then $2 for each additional hour up to a maximum of $12 per day.
- Plane spotting is a favourite pastime by hobbyists and the best place to plane spot in Washington DC is at Gravelly Point
- Covered airport parking is convenient because it offers protection against the elements such as rain, snow and extreme heat
- Many airport garages are multi-storey and can hold as many as 10,000 vehicles at a go
- BWI airport parking also offers a variety of other services such valet parking and persons with disability assistance
Express parking option
The express garage has the advantage that customers and their luggage are picked from the spot where they have parked their car. Rates start at $4 for the first hour, then $2 for any additional hour up to a maximum of $10 per day.
This arrangement is the best for travellers who are looking for the convenience of a personal service at an affordable price.
Long-term parking option
The long-term garage is tailored for the holiday maker who needs convenient and affordable service as they take their holiday.
It is secure because of the high amount of security available at the airport and one will always rest easy that their vehicle is in safe hands when they are on a long holiday.
There are sheltered collection stages within the garage that is convenient especially during bad weather conditions. Prices are set at a maximum daily fee of $8 per day.
Hotels near BWI Airport
- Holiday Inn Express
- Hilton Baltimore
- Sheraton Baltimore
- Wingate by Wyndham
- Westin Baltimore
- Staybridge Suites
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Country Inn and Suites
- Towne Place Suites
- Hyatt Place Baltimore
- Springhill Suites
- Hampton Inn Baltimore
- Embassy Suites Hotel
- Residence Inn Baltimore
- Homewood Suites
- Linthicum Heights
BWI Airport incidents
- On February 1st 2013, a shuttle bus overturned, injuring three people in the process and disrupting rail service to the airport for a couple of hours
- A man was arrested in May 2013 for carrying a stun gun at BWI airport Pier A
- An American Airlines plane was hit by a tow vehicle in February 2014 which led to cancellation of the flight and transfer of passengers to another flight
- In September 2013, the Transportation Security Administration found razor blades in the sneakers of a passenger. The passenger was let go after investigations revealed that the blades were actually part of the shoe design
- The 2012 Super Storm Sandy resulted in over 600 flight cancellations at BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport
- The 2013/14 winter season also saw numerous flights been cancelled at the BWI airport
- On May 8th 2012, a man was arrested after he tried to board a plane with a loaded gun. He was later charged for carrying a concealed weapon
- The TSA stops over 100,000 prohibited items at airports across the United States every year. The items caught before they go on board include thousands of firearms.